• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

3 wheel drive?

traacer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Here's the deal...last snow we had I put the truck in 4X4, and i have manual warn locking hubs. When going over 35mph you would hear clicking/grinding so I figured the hubs had to much grease in them. CLeaned out the hubs with brake cleaner really well and made sure that they fully go to free and lock. Here's the real fun part...the driver's side wheel won't turn, but the passenger's side wheel does. Both hubs engage the axles, checked that when I finished cleaning them and putting them back on. No luck, still made the sounds after a hub cleaning. I'm thinking the gears in the front diff are stripped or competely shot. How much of a pain is it to change in new gears, how do I check them, how much lighter is my wallet going to get? I've never worked with the internals on a diff before and have no clue what I'm looking for so I figured ask the Ranger Gods!

Hahnsb2

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Make / Model
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
Unless there's something I'm missing that is normal for an open diff.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Clicking/grinding sounds wouldn't be normal to me... :dunno: But the one-wheel-at-a-time action would be (unless you mean you lock the hubs in with the vehicle up on a hoist and you can't turn the driverside wheel by hand... in which case the axle u-joint and/or spindle needle bearing might be frozen). A little more clarification what exactly it is or isn't doing might be needed here.

traacer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Not sure how, but I think when I cleaned the hubs there was some residual cleaner in them and it froze since it was cold when I cleaned them. Took them in the house let them warm up and hit them again with brake cleaner, and happy times! Got full 4 wheel drive back. Sorry, but have no idea with the differences in diffs. I'm assuming it's open, but I don't know a whole lot about the differences between all of them.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals