• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

302 Binding on Start

JuJu1289

U.S. Military - Active
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Hey guys, Ive been working on my 302 for awhile now and haven't had much time to work on it because of classes. But today I went to start it up and it seems like there is some sort of binding while it is turning. At first i thought it was the starter because it popped when i first started turning over. But i swapped the starter for a new one and its the same deal. All i can think of is that the transmission is somehow binding up at a certain point. Anybody have the same problem?

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Your ignition timing is WAY off, nothing more.

Sighman

04/2011 & 04/2014 MTOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I'd agree on the timing as well. Baring that have you made any changes lately or is this the first time you've attempted to start it? Is it an auto tranny?

When my tranny went out (C4) after my heart attack my 17 year old son put the new one in and didn't line up the torque converter correctly. Ended up bending the flex plate on the drain plugs (not aligned on the holes). It sounded and acted like a massive bind (which it was) and ended up killing the starter as well.....His heart was in the right place but the torque converter wasn't!

snoopjonnyjon

01/2013 STOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Yep, it's just WAY advanced.

JuJu1289

U.S. Military - Active
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ended up getting it started today. The timing was off but so was the firing order. I had the normal 302 firing order set up and was only getting 1 cylinder on the passenger side firing every turn. Turns out the guy I bought the block from changed the cam to a H.O cam... changed the firing order to the H.O order and it fired up with some distributor rotation.

I did also have to hook up a 850 CCA battery to get it to turn over smoothly. For some reason the 610 I had on wasnt cutting it.

I just need to do some research on my carburetor cuz i was having to hold the throttle to keep it running. Im also only running about 4.5 psi fuel but I think that should be fine. Any objections?

Last edited:

purplehaze

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
351,gt45 turbo,blow thru
Transmission
Automatic
fuel psi at least 6psi

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Ended up getting it started today. The timing was off but so was the firing order. I had the normal 302 firing order set up and was only getting 1 cylinder on the passenger side firing every turn. Turns out the guy I bought the block from changed the cam to a H.O cam... changed the firing order to the H.O order and it fired up with some distributor rotation.

I did also have to hook up a 850 CCA battery to get it to turn over smoothly. For some reason the 610 I had on wasnt cutting it.

I just need to do some research on my carburetor cuz i was having to hold the throttle to keep it running. Im also only running about 4.5 psi fuel but I think that should be fine. Any objections?
Set the base timing to 12*BTC, close the throttle adjuster screw on the carb all the way closed, then adjust it(with the engine off) until it just barely opens the throttle. Thne start it up and if it doesn't idle (really need to do this while the engine is warm) adjust the throttle screw till it'll idle at the lowest rpm possible. Once you've done this, you can fine tune the idle with the mixture screws.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals