• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

302 Swap In The Works Got Some Questions

Lil John SVT

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Got the motor and trans, 306 with a C4 with a 3800 converter. Its replacing the tired 2.9 with a 5 speed. Got the tri y's for now. Have the altenator and ps brackets. But i have a few questions. I did research, yes the search button. But some questions i didn't find the answers i needed. Here they are,

How do i bypass the safety switch on the clutch peddle? Can i use the wires to use as a neutral saftey switch on the new shifter?

Whats the easiest way to remove all the wires under the hood? Truck will be a daily driver, so i don't want to start hacking wires off. I'd like to eliminate as much as possible. Motor is carburetored so i don't need all the wires. Useing a single wire HEI distributor.

The a/c will be deleted. The box thats in the way of the passenger valve cover, the evap box. Can i remove it but keep the heater functions?

I can order the Advance Adapters or use convertible mounts or use the plates and use the stock motor mounts. I have the plates made for the stock mounts already. Is the plate type mounts a good way to go? Or should i go with a different type? The truck will see some track use also, so dependability is a concern.

Going with a 2500 cfm electric fan. I have a clutch fan set up but don't think i'll have the room to use it. I aquired a 8.8 rear end to replace the 7.5. Any other help is appreciated. Thanks :icon_cheers:

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Just my opinion, but a 3800 stall and "daily driver" aren't compatable. Gas mileage will suck, big time. You can use any of the mounts ytou mentioned. Pick one.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
get a different converter.

get a bypass jumper out of a junkyard auto truck.

just pull the eec wiring......the rest of it isnt hurting anything...

you can use heat to form the box, but the ac one is easy to make a seperate cover.

fan is up to you...i prefer electric for a myriad of reasons.

Lil John SVT

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
So does the whole heater, a/c box have to stay in in order to retain the heater? I was gonna remove the a/c side by cuttting them in half. As far as wires go, i'm only gonna remove the ones i know won't be reused. I have the homemade flat plates to use on my stock v6 mounts, its 1/4 thick steel. Gonna see how it sits with it in the truck before spending extra on a different set of mounts. Ordered some tri-y's for the exhaust, hope they work. Also have a Flex A Lite 2500cfm electric fan coming to. Debating if i should remove my stock fuel tank and go with a fuel cell. Its gonna be a on going project so i'm sure things will be changed around again and again.

I know this isn't V8 swap related, But how do you get the metal windshield trim off the truck without bending it and destroying it? I know it has the metal clips holding it in place, how do you release them without tearing it all up?

Teddyzee

December 2011 STOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L HO, GT40 heads, GT40 intake, 65mm TB, 1.7rr, Tri-Y headers, dual 2.5" exhaust, Flowmaster muffl
Transmission
Manual
This is the 1990 truck?

You can cut the front part off the blower box, the part with the AC evaporator inside. There are "non AC" boxes that are already missing that piece, but they still need a trim to clear the valve cover. (this does not apply to 1995 and later trucks, but the boxes do not interchange)

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals