• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

351 swap questions

brizonco

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i just bought a 96 351 w roller motor for my 87 4x4 ranger yesterday and i have a couple questions . i decided to go with the carb route i was wondering if any one had experience with the holley truck avenger carb on a 4x4 truck and if it would be my best choce for carbs. and also what kind of mechanical fuel pump most are going with . and lastly when it comes to motor mounts i have heard a couple of different ones to go with but im not sure witch one will put my motor in the best spot. i will post pics soon of the swap. any one with help or pointers on this swap i appreciate the info.

Derek

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Mr. Gasket p/n 12S is all the fuel pump you'll need for a carbed motor. Both Advance Auto and Autozone stock it on their shelves. As for mounts, you'll need the transfer case too and put it all in place to figure where the mounts will need to bolt to the crossmember.

brizonco

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
thanx man also i hear the stock 5 speed connected to my 2.9 in my 87 ranger would bolt up to the 351 if thats true i will run it untill it breaks which im sure wont take long .

v-8power

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
If it would, it might last long enough for the test drive. You had better get a different tranny from the start. After you get your swap done you are not going to want to be fixin it right away. Trust me, do it right the first time.

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
If it would, it might last long enough for the test drive. You had better get a different tranny from the start. After you get your swap done you are not going to want to be fixin it right away. Trust me, do it right the first time.
:agree: In response to both questions he asked, "No it won't bolt up" and "No it won't last 5 minutes if it did" There was an adapter made for this, but for what you'll pay for it, you'd be money ahead buying a V8 transmission to start with.

brizonco

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
what do yall think would be wiser to keep it maual or go automatic transmission ?how far back would the shifter come on a zf5 speed what is involved in dropping in a c6.

Last edited:

stranger

Reaction score
the pump will require work(timming cover ,cam excentric)just use efi pump and return style regulator

brizonco

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
the pump will require work(timming cover ,cam excentric)just use efi pump and return style regulator
i was wondering what you mean by (timming cover ,cam excentric)this would be affected by an electric fuel pump?

projectnitemare

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
396W
Transmission
Manual
The the newer EFI engines had no use for an eccentric for a mechanical pump. Most likely there won't be one in there to drive your pump. I'm a fan of electric pumps and I used return regulator as well. As far as your trans selection, the C6 is the much easier way to go. You need a bodylift for a ZF, the shifter need modified but you can make it fit if that is want you want. Next time around on my truck I'm using a C6; I'll scatter a ZF.

Matt

brizonco

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
does the tail end of a c6 have the same bolt pattern as the e40d in other words can it run a bw13-56 tcase?

projectnitemare

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
396W
Transmission
Manual
Yep, the C6 will use any fullsize ford t-case including the 1356 if that is what you wish to use.

Matt

brizonco

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
yea i have an extra one left over from my bronco

brizonco

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
ok so what is involved in going from a manual 5 speed ranger to a c6 automatic my buddy tells me all i need to do is cut off my clutch peddle and run a shift linkange into the cab, and kick down cable . seems too easy

projectnitemare

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
396W
Transmission
Manual
It's not hard. My truck was a factory 5 speed, then had a V8 and C4, and the C4 was replaced with the ZF. Do you want the truck to function as factory? Reguardless what you need to do is take the wires from the clutch interlock and run them to a neutral safety switch. That will take care of the starting in gear problem. As far as a shifter do yourself a favor and use a floor mounted aftermarket shifter. They are simple to hook up, adjust, and you can put your switch for reverse lights and NNS there too. You can cut off the clutch pedal but it would be more effective to swap in a pedal from an auto and keep the clutch setup just incase you find a good deal on a manual trans later down the road. With a C6 you don't "need" a kickdown you can just pull the shifter down from 3rd to 2nd and so on. You can hook up a kickdown if desired.

Matt

brizonco

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
thanx man also would the stock exhaust manifolds off a v8 explorer fit with the 351 with no steering issues or frame cutting.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals