• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

3L vs 4L parts

Ranger Rod

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 vulcan
Transmission
Automatic
She is a 95 with a 3 liter auto needing a few transplants. I picked up a beater to tear down for parts which has a 4 liter and a stick. I'm not inclined to put the still strong 4 liter in being the 3 has low mileage on the rebuild and auto trans, but would the 4 slide in with minimal modifications where it to become necessary down the road?

I imagine you guys have a better idea which parts are interchangeable. First I need the egr sensor which at first glance looks the same, but is it really? My u-joints are squeaking and so I am fixing to simply change out the drive shafts if they are the same, or do I require purchasing new joints? For years I have been unable to source a Y-pipe and would welcome to know if the 4 and 3 liter are the same animal, can't eye them up being the old one required to be cut off and a one piece pipe fabricated?

In Canada, the auto glass companies have all joined together refusing to sell windshields to the public forcing you to pay for the $300.00 install too. Then with an older model any amount of body prep must be completed by a body shop which is another monopoly between the two trades. Can anyone direct me where I can just buy a front glass?

Thanks for any advise in advance.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
There are no legal issues in Canada for installing a windshield, so it can be done DIY.
Glass repair shops wouldn't sell you a windshield for DIY for the same reason an Auto Repair shop won't sell you an Alternator, for example, they make their living on installing the parts they sell.

Shipping windshields, for obvious reasons, is not cheap one at a time, there are wholesale glass suppliers where Glass shops get the parts.
Also check body repair shops, they may sell you just the glass, you pick up and "sign off".
The sign off part is required, lol, no returns for broken parts :)

While the $300 seems high it also includes replacement if "they" break it when installing :)
Or if there is a water leak down the road

Just look up the EGR valves online and see if the have the same part number

Assuming 2WD not 4x4, automatic trans has different output shaft than manual trans, so driveshaft end for trans will not matchup.
Also the 4.0l Ranger will have a 8.8" rear axle, 3.0l may have 8.8" but could have 7.5" rear axle, 8.8" and 7.5" have different size drive shaft attachments
And length of driveshaft is based on wheel base of truck, i.e. regular cab, extended cab

Engine swap from 3.0l to 4.0l wouldn't be worthwhile IMO
You need to swap engine, transmission, computer and engine wiring harness
Motor mounts, exhaust and other bits and pieces
So same swap as doing a 5.0l V8 swap, which would be more worthwhile

The engine and drive train parts are different between 3.0l and 4.0l Ranger so there won't be much that swaps between them.
Body parts and interior parts should be the same, if both are 1995

Last edited:

tinman_72

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Factory
Total Drop
None
Tire Size
255/60R15
My credo
RoHS compliant
...Also the 4.0l Ranger will have a 8.8" rear axle, 3.0l may have 8.8" but could have 7.5" rear axle, 8.8" and 7.5" have different size drive shaft attachments...
The 8.8" and 7.5" have the same size drive shaft attachment. I put the rear end from a '94 4.0 extended cab into my '93 2.3L short bed. The driveshaft from the 7.5 bolted right up to the 8.8.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
My mistake, I thought they were different

Ranger Rod

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 vulcan
Transmission
Automatic
TY

Thanks Ron and Tinman, I continue my serch for a windshield being unable to locate a wholesaler.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals