• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4.0 OHV blowby, next steps

Josh P

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
5.0 swap is needed

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
Tough choice. I think I'd be torn between Options #2 and #3, with leaning toward Option #3.

I wonder if the detonation has anything to do with loose intake bolts.

4.0blue98

I don't feel tardy...
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
Round
My credo
It was like that when I found it.
^^^ I'd be leaning towards opt 3 as well.

gaz

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
87Ranger Endrigo 2.9l, 87BII Endrigo 4.0l
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Ranger 5" (2" suspension), BII 4" suspension
Total Drop
Ranger 5sp, BII A4LD
Tire Size
Ranger 33"/4:10LS, BII 29"/3:73LS
My credo
Deengineer until it is how Blue Oval should have sold it!!
@Shran ,
95 and up OHV pistons are all dished the same. I will be surprised to learn that it has 1st gen heads. I missed it when I tore down my first OHV 4.0l, which had 98+ spec heads 🤦🤦🤦

I'm pretty sure that the heads must be installed and torqued at the same time as the lower intake manifold.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I wonder if the detonation has anything to do with loose intake bolts.
Was hoping so but after retorquing them (no guarantee they're perfect, but way better than they were) the pinging is no better and no worse. 91 octane fuel helped to some extent.

@Shran ,
I'm pretty sure that the heads must be installed and torqued at the same time as the lower intake manifold.
That's what my head gasket set instructions said and there is a very specific way to torque both and I followed it to a T but in the end after several heat/cool cycles I had very loose bolts. There is a separate torque procedure for the lower intake by itself if just replacing that gasket - I followed that today - it was something like 36in/lb->72in/lb->132in/lb->180in/lbs. Every single bolt was looser than 36in/lb and the previous procedure had me tighten them all to 15ft/lbs.

Neither here nor there at this point though. Here are some further thoughts -

#1 - I am just out some time & a $20 intake gasket kit but won't cure the pinging
#2 - I'm out $140 for another head gasket set & bolts and the blowby may not cure itself.
#3 - This is where I'm leaning, just burns up my $500 spare set of heads
#4 - If the block needed to be bored I guess I might go this route as I would be buying pistons anyway. Additional cost of pistons... but I could use the heads I have on hand.

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
Was hoping so but after retorquing them (no guarantee they're perfect, but way better than they were) the pinging is no better and no worse. 91 octane fuel helped to some extent.
I was wondering if heavy detonation might have loosened the bolts. Off the top of my head, I don't think that they call for a lot of torque.

Why gaskets so damn expensive these days? My guess- when you do need them, they have you over a barrel and can just get away with robbery.

I'm hoping that the bores are still within diameter spec. Then all it is is honing and rings, and a judgement call on the bearings. Without going back through the thread, it seems that this truck was relatively low miles (for the age anyway). That would put me in a "minimalist" frame of mind, or approach, to putting just what's needed into the motor to get it into a reasonable running condition.

gaz

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
87Ranger Endrigo 2.9l, 87BII Endrigo 4.0l
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Ranger 5" (2" suspension), BII 4" suspension
Total Drop
Ranger 5sp, BII A4LD
Tire Size
Ranger 33"/4:10LS, BII 29"/3:73LS
My credo
Deengineer until it is how Blue Oval should have sold it!!
@Shran ,
My bust, even the 95-97 heads are fastburn combustion chamber...all OHV 4.0l heads from 95 to the end are the fastburns and all OHV 4.0l pistons from 95 to the end are large dish.

If you pull the exhaust manifolds and have the small nearly round 2.9l size exhaust ports, you will know immediately that they are 98+.

Also, reset your PCM. If it is a compression issue and you don't have a full tank of premium in there, you may need to run out the mixture.

Last edited:

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I contacted the machine shop and they said worst case I am looking at $1800-2300 to go through the shortblock... less if it's in really good shape.

However they are at least 3 months out. Having used them before, that probably means 6 months.

I'm kind of leaning towards Option #5 and #6 that I didn't mention...

#5 is cleaning up my spare 4.0 and dropping it into this truck, at least temporarily. I know it runs but that's about it, I pulled it out of an Explorer I junked but the fuel in that truck was really bad and I didn't leave it running long.

#6 is taking this engine apart myself and inspecting everything, buy a few measuring tools and a hone and see how I can do on my own since I apparently have time

#5 cuz I have it and would be nice to have it cleaned up & verify that it runs so that I can use it for future projects, #6 because why not I guess.

I haven't had time to do much more with this project but may dig into it this evening and start disassembly.

Thoughts?

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I would probably go with 5, and then do 6 in spare time.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
^^^ What he said. See if you can get the spare engine to work and work on the bad motor as you have time and money.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I got the money, I just don't want to wait 6 months to drive my damn truck 😂 😂 😂 I hate having dead trucks stuck in my shop long term.

#5 was always an option, I just didn't want to use up my spare engine for this particular project so I didn't mention it. But being able to run it a while & verify its condition would be valuable I suppose.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals