• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4.0 OHV supercharging issues...

92 5 oh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
To add to that above...
i bought a PLX Devices WB for my mustang. can't remember model off the top of my head now, maybe 200 or something. anyways, it's got a relatively small controller so it's easy to mount. measure from 10-19 a/f. its also got an analog output wire for data logging if you've got (or plan to get) some hardware/software for this. anyways, i've been extremely happy with mine. I believe i paid $290 or something like that for it, this was years ago though, not sure if the prices have changed.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
i wanna see the "adapter/intake". i wanna make one.

feellnfroggy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I got ahold of a supercharger for a gm 3.8 for next to nothing. Made a manifold to adapt it to the 4.0 OHV lower intake, and made a intake to attach the stock throttle body to it. It will start and die when cranked, and will stay running (badly) with the throttle half open. It seems to me that the engine is not getting enough air, the way that i would corrrect this would be to swap to a smaller pulley correct? The pulley that is on it now is about 3.75 inches. I'm looking to get about 5 pounds of boost out of this if possible.
I didnt read all the responses first off, but my guess would be you have pegged your Maf. I would try swapping a MAF from a 5.0 onto your intake, When you push more air than your maf can read, the system will read it as running lean, which forces the comp to add fuel(sometimes too much) which reverses teh situation and gives you a rich tune. Hence the feeling of not enough air. The best way to fix it is to run the bigger MAF and get a "tune" for your computer or a handheld programmer to help it deal with all the extra airflow.

BeefStew42791

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
if taking one from the 5.0 engine requires a tune, why not go with the bigger diameter maf's & tb's that are made for the 4.0? come to think of it why would one even need a tune if you took the entire maf system (aka not just the guts or pipe)? All its doing is reading more air, in that case.

Viper Command

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2x'97-'88-'98-'
Make / Model
Ranger,Ranger,
Engine Size
3.0,4.0OHV 2.9, 4.6DOHC, 4.0SOHC
Ahh, the sweet sound of screws.

I like....

n_grimm

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I have a question. Does the fuel pressure regulator on your 4.0 connect to a vacuum source so that the fuel pressure rises with boost?

Snurfer

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
the stock ranger one does not. most aftermarket FPRs do have boost referencing for fuel, increasing at 1:1 ratio with boost. most FMUs will increase at a 7:1 ratio. fuel/boost

slow96gt

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
this is awesome i would love to see how you made the adapter plate

multiranger

Praise the Lowerd!
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
REALLY!!!!! Why is it that all the cool threads go nowhere? This reminds me of all the SHO Ranger builds... No one ever completes them...... My Ranger rant for the day!!!

Edgefevah

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
really!!!!! Why is it that all the cool threads go nowhere? This reminds me of all the sho ranger builds... No one ever completes them...... My ranger rant for the day!!!

amen!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals