• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4.0 OHV valve train question

e-ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I have a '90 Ranger with 134K miles. It's a 4.0L, auto, which had lots of valvetrain noise. I was not concerned with this until the head gaskets went out on it. It's apart now and I'm looking for other potential problems, however, there is minimal wear on the valve train.

There are two things I do need answered though.

1. The lifters have little cone shaped pieces on top of them by where the pushrods sit. Several of these have detatched from the lifters themselves. I have never seen these before and am a seasoned mechanic. WTF are they, and can I run the truck without them?

2. The pushrods appear to be solid (not hollow, no oil passages.) Is this normal? Can I replace them with a pushrod of the same length that has an oil passage? Does anyone know if one from another vehicle will work?

Thanks in advance.

Erik

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
I have a '90 Ranger with 134K miles. It's a 4.0L, auto, which had lots of valvetrain noise. I was not concerned with this until the head gaskets went out on it. It's apart now and I'm looking for other potential problems, however, there is minimal wear on the valve train.

May I rephrase your statement to "No valvetrain wear that you can SEE?

There are two things I do need answered though.

1. The lifters have little cone shaped pieces on top of them by where the pushrods sit. Several of these have detatched from the lifters themselves. I have never seen these before and am a seasoned mechanic. WTF are they, and can I run the truck without them?

They are mainly guides to help get the pushrod into the lifter
during engine assembly.

2. The pushrods appear to be solid (not hollow, no oil passages.) Is this normal?

YES

Can I replace them with a pushrod of the same length that has an oil passage?

You could but there wouldn't be ANY point to doing so.

First if you are thinking lighter pushrods a 4.0 doesn't rev so it's a moot point.
Second there is no associated oil supply hole in the 4.0 lifter to pump oil up the pushrod.

Does anyone know if one from another vehicle will work?

Got me!

Thanks in advance.

Erik
where 4.0's wear tocause the typical 4.0 valvetrain clatter is
in the pushrod socket in the rocker arm.

The pushrod usually gets pretty galled up too.

e-ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
There is no noticeable wear on the rockers. The push rods sit nice and snug in the valve train. There is a fair amount of wear on the rods on two cylinders. Are the push rods supposed to be solid?

e-ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Alright, re-read your post, question answered. Why, if the pushrods are supposed to be solid, are their oil holes in the rocker arms and holes in the top of the lifters? I don't care about performance, I want longevity.

Erik

almostclueless

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
IIRC, the OHC rockers have a hole aimed at the rocker shafts that allegedly will get oil and feed it to a hole in the cup.

From what I've read, the biggest problem was insufficient heat treatment on the pushrod cups.

If I had an OHC with high miles, I'd just go ahead and replace the rockers and pushrods with quality parts.

Hmm...2.8's didnt have this reputation....wonder what the diff is?

nismotunedgtr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
IIRC, the OHC rockers have a hole aimed at the rocker shafts that allegedly will get oil and feed it to a hole in the cup.

From what I've read, the biggest problem was insufficient heat treatment on the pushrod cups.

If I had an OHC with high miles, I'd just go ahead and replace the rockers and pushrods with quality parts.

Hmm...2.8's didnt have this reputation....wonder what the diff is?

OHC with pushrods?

almostclueless

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Oops......holy beer diluted acronyms LOL.

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
The hole in the pushrod ed of the rocker arm is to let oil IN, not out.

AD

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals