• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4.0 swap in 3.0

mattswan267

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 liter
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 2002 Ford Ranger thats a 3.0 engine with an auto trans. And i have a 1996 4.0 engine. I dont have the original 3.0 engine but i do have the 3.0 harness. Im noticing that the bolt patterns are different from the 3.0 auto trans to the 4.0 engine. I was curious if anybody knows if a 4.0 bell housing would interchange with a 3.0 transmission? Or if i just have to find a 4.0 transmission. Im aware the the 3.0 trans is a lot weaker but i'm on a tight budget. any help would be appreciated

-thanks

Last edited:

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
mazda
Engine Size
2.9 for now
Transmission
Manual
replace the trans too...if you don't you will be shortly after swapping the motor... especially with the auto trans

mattswan267

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 liter
Transmission
Automatic
Im not worried about the trans being weak. I need to have my daily driver up and going. Im doing a 302 swap with a C4 transmssion in the future i just dont have the time or money. Does that mean the 1996 4.0 will work the the 3.0 transmission? Ive done some research and found that the bellhousings interchange. I dont know if the wiring from the 4.0 harness will work the the 3.0 trans. Thanks

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Engine wiring harness, ECU, bellhousing, and exhaust (basically everything that touches the engine) will have to be switched over to 4.0 stuff. Nothing is interchangeable.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals