• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4.0 swap

jims89broncoII

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
im thinking about swaping out the 2.9 for a explorer sohc 4.0. ive been searching on here for a good write up about it and what has to be changed and what not but cant find it. anyone have any info or links to a good write up? thankS!

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
This guy has a BII with a 4.0 SOHC
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3042230
(He's in Utah, but I've never met him)

The 4.0 OHV is a much easier swap, and is done more often, which is why there is more documentation on it

The SOHC swap is tougher, as there is a lot more involved, swapping the entire engine bay and the dash would be the easiest way IMO

jims89broncoII

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
sounds to me like the 4.0 ohv would be the way to go then. any good documentation on that swap?

Clem

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2002 Ranger XLT
Make / Model
1986 Bronco II,
Engine Size
Ranger-4.0 B2-2.9
Transmission
Manual
That was a neat swap the guy did putting in the 4.0 SOHC. Helluva lot of work, but when you get 200+ hp with out have to go to a 5.0 it might be worth it.
jims89broncoII: Your 89 is one of the easier swaps for a 4.0 OHV, most everything from a 91-95 X is plug and play. If you haven't already found this link, it is interesting and informative. Also pertains directly to your 89 B2: http://www.broncoii-ranger.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9135#9135
If you haven't already done so, I suggest you find an X with a good engine and swap everything you can or want. I started with an 86 B2 and a 92 X with an automatic/154e that I didn't want. The B2 now has the 4.0, basically the dash, (I got a dash and all the interior from a 89 & 90 B2, put the X harness in the 90 dash.) yours won't need that, D35 front axle, soon the 8.8 rear and springs, a M5OD-R1/BW1354m and the 31's and rims from the X.
When I picked up the X, I was amazed at how much wasn't changed from my 86 B2 to the 92 X, and after seeing all the parts that I have used from the X, the $450 was well worth the cost. If I had bought them separate from a wrecking yard it would have been close to $1500.
Good luck with your project, it is time consuming, but nearly a direct bolt in
except for the rear end.
Ray

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals