• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4.0L OHV California emissions compatibility and differences

Constantparabola

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 2000 ranger with the 4.0L V6 OHV. It’s in need of an engine. I’m trying to track down a junkyard engine. The problem Im having is the only ones I’m finding are federal emissions and mine is a California emissions. They also keep asking if it has an EGR valve.
I have the ford shop manual for my truck and it says there isn’t a 4.0L with an EGR in 2000. And my manual is not giving any specifics on what the California differences are. So these parts dealers don’t want to sell to me because the VIN doesn’t match their database.

I’ve read a few posts that say the long block is identical from 98-00. But these responses are kind of vague. I guess I’m looking to confirm that the California engines don’t have a dIfferent camshaft. Or something else I’m not thinking of. I don’t have a parts manual to see if there are multiple camshafts for this engine. I see in rock anuto they sell some camshafts that say matching stock OEM except California. But I can’t find a California stock camsshaft for sale or just a ford part number for one. All the parts on my truck are good so I can swap it all. If that’s an option.

Any insite on this topic would go a long way in saving one of these trucks from the crusher.

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
They also keep asking if it has an EGR valve.
On the older Rangers like I have, the vacuum diagram and emissions sticker on the radiator support shows the EGR if it's equipped. Maybe your 2000 has a similar sticker?

Beyond that, sorry but I don't know any particulars of the Fed versus Cali differences.

Welcome to TRS.

emissions sticker.jpg

Constantparabola

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for the great info. My sticker confirms what my shop manual has been saying. I don’t have an EGR.

I just need to confirm the cam is the same and maybe I’ll pull the trigger in a federal emissions engine. My gut is telling me the cams are the same but when it comes to spending my money poof is nice.

thanks again!
IMG_0104.jpeg

rubydist

TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My understanding is that they were the same except for the tune.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, the engines are the same, 1998-2000, the emissions systems are based and controlled by the computer software

If the engine you get has an EGR valve on the upper intake then swap over your upper intake that has no EGR valve or DPFE sensor

Also heads up on the Cam sensor, there were 2 types used, 2 wires and 3 wires, and one is AC volts and the other DC volts, so not just wire issue, your 2000 computer needs what it has now, the whole synchro unit needs to be changed to match the Cam signal needed
2000 should be 2 wire Cam sensor, 1998 is when Ford started changing the V6 engines over to 2 wire Cam sensors
The Cams were the same

Last edited:

Constantparabola

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks Ron. The federal emissions engine I’m looking at is a 99 so based on what you’re saying it’s a two wire cam sensor. But if not I can swap with what I have. Mine was working when parked.

I think I’ve got all the ammo I need to pull the trigger. This parts dealer says their engine is compatible with my left coast special. But hearing it from you all puts me at ease.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals