• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4" lift questions

tonyjklh

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0L v6
Transmission
Automatic
well i picked up a used lift for $100. im putting it on my 90 ranger 4.0(after i fix the tranny). i was thinking of some 32" tires, would love 33" but dont know if they will fit. i have 3.73 gears with LS, i cant afford to take it to get new gears, is those gears gonna be fine? otherwise how hard is it to install gears myself?

Lrpalo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You should be able to clear the 33s no problem. As far as gears go 3.73s should be fine wont have the pick up you have now but not too bad. If you haul/tow alot in the truck you may want to upgrade. I ran 33s with 3.27s for almost a year before i got my 4.56s and it was def not a speed machine but usable.

legoms013

09/2013 OTOTM
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic

tonyjklh

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0L v6
Transmission
Automatic
great! i guess i will get the 33" tires, may put new gears later but i'll just see how it is with the 3.73, thanks for the advice!

legoms013

09/2013 OTOTM
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
33's and 3.73's ain't gonna be a great driving experience. OD will be useless and mileage will be poor. Just count on hating it and have money ready for a gear change after you get tires. If you get new gears go with 4.56's.

If you do not plan on changing gears, stick with 32's, your transmission will thank you. It will be a little more drivable than with 33 inch tires.

mhughes165

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
33's and 3.73's ain't gonna be a great driving experience. OD will be useless and mileage will be poor. Just count on hating it and have money ready for a gear change after you get tires. If you get new gears go with 4.56's.

If you do not plan on changing gears, stick with 32's, your transmission will thank you. It will be a little more drivable than with 33 inch tires.
i actually tended to get better gas mileage with 33's and stock gears then i did with stock tires and stock gears, overdrive is not useless, its not gonna be a rock crawler, but for some trail riding itll be fine.

aslong as u dont try and bury the throttle to the floor all the time itll be fine lol

and before anyone starts freaking out, it can be done on the older rangers, the fm146 are geared steeper then a m50d(check the tech library). while id only run 32s if he had a m50d ill run 33's with a fm146

Last edited:

tonyjklh

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0L v6
Transmission
Automatic
and before anyone starts freaking out, it can be done on the older rangers, the fm146 are geared steeper then a m50d(check the tech library). while id only run 32s if he had a m50d ill run 33's with a fm146
i have the a4ld automatic, not the standard.

Andres629

Article Contributor
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985/91
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 screamer
Transmission
Automatic
I ran 3.73's with a beat and tired A4LD driven by a 2.9. It did alright, but I was definitely living life in the slow lane when I so much as saw an incline in the road. On the flat though, you could really get 'er wound out with those big tires and make some time!

As far as the 4" lift goes, you'll clear 33's.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals