• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4bt into a 87 ranger

1987 4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hello I have a 87 ranger 2.9 5 speed 4x4

I picked this truck up for $600. It runs and shifts good and the body looks like it just cames off of the lot. This is a second car and I'd like todo a 4bt, 4.0, or maybe even a carbed 302. The carbed 302 sounds pretty strait forward other than the mounting & oil pan, the 4.0 seems the hardest with all the wireing but the easiest to fit in, now the 4bt would just be awesome but I'm a little bit confused on what box truck I need to take the engine & trans out off to have the ford bell housing adapter on and how much wireing and what mounts I need to change. Out of all of these I'd like todo the 4bt swap but I'd like others opinions on which would be the most strait forward todo considering wireing(but I red some 4bts have barely any wiring) right now I'm at a block on what todo.

cody93

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
ask yourself this first, what do you plan on doing with the truck? wiring would be the least of your issues with a 4bt swap.
1. 4BT's wiegh alot
2. you will have to replace your fuel system
3. 4BT's will cost more than a good running complete ready to drop in 302 or 4.0, even a used one.

although the 4BT gets good MPG.

wiring a 4.0 in a gen1 ranger has been done so many times now that im sure you'll have no issues finding out how to hook one up.

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
Its going to cost almost 10X what you paid for the truck to put a 4bt in it.

Trust me. :annoyed:

1987 4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I'm not gonna be doing anything that I would actually "need" a diesel other than having a pretty sexy ranger but if it's gonna be like 5-6k for that set up I might as well try todo a mild biuld for a 4.0 to get a lil bit more power and I could prob get my buddies off of him (96 with 80k for $200) find a 5speed to bolt to it and finding wiring diagrams shouldn't be too difficult todo the 302 just seems like it's too much for my needs of basicly just crushing with a reliable engine on weekends

cody93

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
the 4.0 is a reliable stout engine. power of a 6cyl, with the thirst of a v8.. TBH, id flip a coin between the 4.0 and the 5.0. 4.0 is probly easier overall, but then again, there aint no substitute for a V8. but im different and plan on stuffing a slant 6 in my truck someday..

lost86broncoii

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
cody93 are you talking about the mopar 225 slant 6? or the ford 4.9 inline six?

cody93

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
yea, the mopar one, its one the few chysler engines with a good reputation. the 4.9 is too long for me to bother with. especially in a 2wd that i dont want to do a bodylift on

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals