• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4wd won't engage

Forces Delta

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hello everyone I have a question about my 4wd. It is push button and won't engage. I checked the control module and it is functioning correctly. The switch seems to work because the light was on for low range one day after I started the truck. don't know if this is good or bad thing.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
On the back side of the transfer case is an electric motor that turns the Shift rod to select 2WD, 4Hi, 4Low

These often quit working from disuse
Tap on this motor with a wrench or ??
Then try shifting from the cab switch

In any case that would be your next stop, because even if it starts to work it WILL quit again, so needs to be rebuilt or replaced
The 4x4 module sends this motor 12v/Ground on 2 wires, since motor needs to spin clockwise and also counter clockwise(to return to previous selection) the 4x4 module reverses the 12v/Ground wires to move shift rod to desired position
To "know" the correct position there are 4 to 5 other wires on the shift motor housing, these tell 4x4 module "what position" the shift rod is in, AND........this position also activates the dash lights for 4hi and 4low
i.e. You select 4hi, 4x4 module powers the motor to turn shift rod to 4hi, when specific contacts in the motor housing "close" 4x4 module "knows" shift rod is in correct position so it stops the motor, and 4hi light comes on(if bulb is good)
When you turn on the key these light will often come on and then go off, that is a "Bulb test", not a 4WD test

Tips on shift motor here: http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/TCaseshiftmotor.shtml

And here: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/how-to-rebuild-4x4-shift-motor.123542/

You should shift the 4WD system once a month, 2WD to 4hi, then to 4low then back to 2WD, you do not have to move the truck, just shift it, this keeps motor's brushes clean, gears lubed and shift rod loose.
And if there IS a problem, better to find out now than when you actually NEED 4WD, lol

Last edited:

Forces Delta

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Haha yeah that's the problem was I needed it today with 1ft of snow on the ground.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, that's when we all find out it isn't working, next time you NEED IT :)

You can get a set of manual locking hubs
And then a Shiftster

Shiftster replaces electric motor on transfer case, so you have a manual transfer case.
Downside is you have to get under the truck to shift it, up side is outside of transfer case failure it will ALWAYS shift.

Now with manual hubs you can leave the transfer case in 4hi during the winter months, or all the time.
And lock the hubs for 4WD and unlock them for 2WD
Always have 4WD that way, no wondering

2001 and up Rangers have "live axles" so hubs are always in 4WD, locked
Front drive shaft is always spinning if truck is moving.

Doesn't hurt anything or wear anything out, many think it is better since in 2WD on earlier models the differential and axle bearings would be dry after sitting for awhile, and so were starting dry when you did use 4WD, I say 50/50, good points on both sides, lol.

Forces Delta

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
So if I replace the motor to a shifter are you saying that to switch it from 4hi to 4 low I have to get under to change that?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, not convenient, but no wondering if you will have 4low either

4Low doesn't give more traction, it gives more torque, so not used in slippery condition when torque is a bad thing, bad weather and slippery conditions is 4hi only.
4low when you have to "crawl" up/down or over things, so not usually a sudden condition, lol.

Last edited:

Forces Delta

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Okay thanks

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals