• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4x4 went out in a blizzard, need help!

kamps989

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My transfer case has been on the fritz and I'm really hoping that its not the motor (its not my hubs I switched to manual after they went). First about a week before it went out it wouldn't shift into 4hi until i got it rolling and i didn't think much of it. Then we got 20 inches and i went to flip it into 4x4 and i could hear the normal clicking but it just clicks about 5 times then the 4hi and 4lo lights flash for a bit, and if i try again there is no clicking.

I have done some research on the site and have tried disconnecting my battery like someone suggested and I checked my connection at the T-case, all looks well but I didn't dig to deep (-16 this morning and no garage).

Any ideas would be much appreciated!

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Probably the motor, as far as t-case problems go that is the best thing to hope for too.

It will try a couple times once per key cycle and won't try it again until you shut it off and back on. Sometimes you can smack on it and they will unstick if you are in a pinch, or remove the motor and carefully turn the shaft with pliers to switch modes.

kamps989

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for the help! i took the motor off and tested it and it worked just fine. I put it back on and all seems to be well? are these things really touchy?

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

Fast Doc

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Glad it's working. I'd consider oredering a new motor to have for next time though. My experiance is things that fix themselves are fixed temporarily. Did you work outside in that snow and in that weather?

Fast Doc

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Glad it's working. I'd consider ordering a new motor to have for next time though. My experience is things that fix themselves are fixed temporarily. Did you work outside in that snow and in that weather?

kamps989

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for the tip, I actually picked up a new motor today anyhow. Maybe I'll just throw that on tomorrow since its such an easy process, I'd rather not end up with the 4x not working again. I didn't have to work outside thank god, i through all of our duck hunting gear/boat into the snow outside so i could pull the truck in our tiny excuse for a garage and work on it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals