• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

8.8 H.P. flip

Viper Command

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2x'97-'88-'98-'
Make / Model
Ranger,Ranger,
Engine Size
3.0,4.0OHV 2.9, 4.6DOHC, 4.0SOHC
Can I flip the explorer 8.8 rear end to make it a high pinion???

reverse cut gears req.???

crawlin91

OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
sounds like a lot of work for a moderately strong c clip axle

Viper Command

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2x'97-'88-'98-'
Make / Model
Ranger,Ranger,
Engine Size
Im talking about just flipping the hole thing.

Super 88 is in the future (C clip elm.)

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you're not making mistakes, you're not learning.
You can flip it. But it won't end there...

Unfortunately it will cause the wheels to turn backwards. You've "moved" the ring gear to the other side of the pinion, and it will rotate the "other" direction.

Reverse cut gears won't help in this case, they will not fit in the housing. The teeth will not mesh properly, or at all for that matter.

They DO make a hi-pinion third member that fits a 9" housing (Currie I think?) that uses reverse cut 8.8" gears from the F150's. Going this route the R&P is actually weaker if switched to the rear of the vehicle.

Low pinion fronts have the same problem, which is why so many front axles are hi-pinion while rear axles remain low-pinion. Some claim the strength difference to be as much as 30%.

so in short, no. It cannot be done.

Though you could install a reverse rotation engine... I guess it would then spin the correct way, but that also is a pain. And is alot of work just to get your pinion a few inches higher.

*edit: there will also be some very serious oiling issues that will need to be addressed.

Last edited:

Viper Command

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2x'97-'88-'98-'
Make / Model
Ranger,Ranger,
Engine Size
Thank you very much for the info, now I know its not worth 2 inches of clearence.

Original_Ranger84

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1999
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L, 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
You can flip it. But it won't end there...

Unfortunately it will cause the wheels to turn backwards. You've "moved" the ring gear to the other side of the pinion, and it will rotate the "other" direction.

Reverse cut gears won't help in this case, they will not fit in the housing. The teeth will not mesh properly, or at all for that matter.

They DO make a hi-pinion third member that fits a 9" housing (Currie I think?) that uses reverse cut 8.8" gears from the F150's. Going this route the R&P is actually weaker if switched to the rear of the vehicle.

Low pinion fronts have the same problem, which is why so many front axles are hi-pinion while rear axles remain low-pinion. Some claim the strength difference to be as much as 30%.

so in short, no. It cannot be done.

Though you could install a reverse rotation engine... I guess it would then spin the correct way, but that also is a pain. And is alot of work just to get your pinion a few inches higher.

*edit: there will also be some very serious oiling issues that will need to be addressed.
I think he ment that he wanted to flip it so that he didn't have to cut and flip the brackets to the other side.

But thanks for the info, I was wondering the same thing, looks like I got some fabbing to do...

Viper Command

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2x'97-'88-'98-'
Make / Model
Ranger,Ranger,
Engine Size
No, leaf pads and shock mounts are no big deal to me.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals