• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

8.8 leaf spring and driver side sag on 96 ranger

oddball101

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I have an 8.8 swap using the same stock SUA configuration as the explorer and the sky jacker drop hangers to level out the lift to avoid raking. I yanked the leaf springs from the explorer but didn't anticipate the driver side sag and since have been to the junk yard 3 times trying to get the correct leaf spring. First trip I learned about the different spring rates that exist for different model explorers including what to look for with tow packages after searching.

When I had the two original springs sitting beside each other I noticed that one stood a little taller than the other but figured once bolted in place the torsion strength would still be the same - First mistake hence the sag.

So now I have been searching the net for info and I have found some good stuff from the listed links below but still have the issue.

http://216.198.221.184/forums//showthread.php?t=70062
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=13324

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/26144-factory-tow-package.html

So now as it stands, the good spring on the passenger side has a code of
"F87A PA
BOCO 227"

... and I have tried several times to get another passenger side spring of the same quality but with no luck. A couple of the spring codes from the other leafs I have tried are as follows:

"F57A FD
EC6 234" (which I thought was a winner coming from the pass side of a 97 exploder with a stock tow package and LSD, but still no good)

"F87A PA
OH8 245" (no good)

So right now I am game for suggestions one which vehicle to spot or whatever else I may need to look for. I also picked up a couple (what look to be stock) lift blocks form a 4x4 ranger but I don't think I could use those because of the bolt spacing pattern.

Any suggestions or insight is much appreciated...

Thanks

oddball101

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Joy, just realized I couldn't even use the lift blocks if I wanted with the SUA configuration I have... (ahh I need help)

srteach

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1999, 2001
Make / Model
Ranger, F350
Engine Size
4.0L, 7.3 Diesel
Transmission
Manual
My suggestion:
You have spring SETS, right? If you do, combine them in pairs with what you have. instructions in the tech library, I think.

Use 1 of set A, and mix with 1 of set B for each side. Take the sets apart by cutting the center bolt off. Use some of the leaves and not others, depending on what you want for the final spring rate. Arrange them with the longest near the top, just like they come factory.

khast2010

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Automatic
are the driver and passenger leafs different in torsion capabilities?
seems you may need to find an explorer with both leafs and pull them as a pair rather than trying to mix and match...

just a thought, im not very knowledgeable about springs :annoyed:

oddball101

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
srteach,

I actually really like the idea of adding in a leaf from the extra set that I do currently have, only this is my daily driver and I am looking for as little downtime as possible... really good idea though. My only question thinking in this route would be which leafs to switch to achieve the most lift. I imagine that would be the stiffest combo I am looking for then. Since both sets are 4-packs and what I believe to be the "f" coded springs, would I just have two of the longer ones besides the main just sitting on top of each other?

khast2010,

I actually did pull the original set from the same explorer, just turns out that it already had the infamous driver sag, but my thoughts exactly. Since I have been trying to pull other "F" coded passenger side springs to properly match but still am falling short.

mp3deviant721

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l of fury
Transmission
Manual
Joy, just realized I couldn't even use the lift blocks if I wanted with the SUA configuration I have... (ahh I need help)
I think if you have a spring under axle configuration, you can use Beltech 6400 shackles to lift the rear. Other wise, you can change it to a spring over axle. Those shackles are lowering shackles for full-size Chevys, but will lift Rangers.

oddball101

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Okay so I'm motivated. I did some more research and found a thread on using F150 leafs under the exploded main leaf to achieve 3" of lift. As the point of my having "sets" of leaves to work with, I am now considering the "Zimmerman mod" being that I have 2 sets of exploder leafs and my old stock set of ranger leafs as well meaning that if I chose to, I could fabricate my own leaf setup with any downtime minus installation.

This whole thing just became VERY attractive as I seemingly have all I need at hand. Now I am curious as to (1) how many of the ranger springs I want to incorporate with the exploder to achieve that leveled out (or slightly higher rear) ride height that I'm looking for... (2) And would adding in 2 of the ranger leafs to the exploder 4-pack with my SUA configuration require shims to maintain the 6* pinion angle.

Thanks again for the suggestion SRTEACH, that's exactly why I love Tech forums... And enough ass kissing, any more input is welcome.

Last edited:

oddball101

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
mp3deviant721

I am actually already using the belltech 6400 drop shackles and with good results I might add minus the saggy driver side spring. Sometimes though just eyeballing from the side with the good leaf spring, it still seems a hair short of the front where I still want at least even if not a hair above versus below level.

Oh and I went with the stock SUA setup to avoid having to weld new perches and such as my resources are a bit limited. I used the stock exploder shock mounts and just twisted the one (opening up the bolt holes with a drill as they aren't perfectly square).

Last edited:

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
All Rangers have a bit of a droop on the drivers side due to the stupid gas tank location idiots at Ford did. My 99 Ranger with a suspension lift has a bit of a droop on that side. When I am near empty it is level....so if it bothers you then add a spacer to that one side and don't worry about it. If it is a three inch or more difference you need HELP!!!! I keep saying that if it bothers me I will just put a spacer on the side in a good location...one of my friend said to take a 1 inch lift block and cut it down a bit and see if that makes it better!!! I might just do that if it does ever bother me....Ahhhhhh!!!

oddball101

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Straycat

The stock configuration would allow for the spacer blocks to create the lift to level it back out for sure. However in my case being spring under axle, it would have the opposite effect.

I love the idea of adding leafs to the exploder pack but part of me still just wishes I couldfind the one good spring in the yard. We'll see I suppose.

Last possibility is that I still have one passenger side leaf I haven't even tried yet. It just doesn't "free arch" any higher than the others so whatever.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals