• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

8.8 swap questions

Brandon12

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988/91
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9/4.0
Transmission
Manual
So tomorrow im gunna start the swap to get rid of the 7.5 in my ranger. Im stealing the 88 out of my 91 explorer Eddie Bauer. I know I gotta swap sides on the spring perches and what not but im wondering about the driveline. My understanding is that it has the bigger u joint on the transfer case end. I think the transfer cases are interchangeable between the 2.9 and the 4.0? My t.c is going out anyways so swapping them would be reasonable. If I do that then everything should bolt right up and I wont need to make a driveline, correct?

Thanks in advance.

--weezl--

June 2011 OTOTM Winner
Law Enforcement
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
mmmm i seem to remember someone saying the ujoints are the same on the 2.3 right up to the full size bronco... someone used the front driveshaft from a full sized bronco on their BII...

they should be the same though... not 100% sure though, sorry... tech library probably has the yoke/ujoint specs

--weezl--

June 2011 OTOTM Winner
Law Enforcement
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
thinking about it further, you should be able to remove the yoke from the flange (unbolt, keeping the ujoint still intact) and bolt it on the other... i'm 99% sure they are a constant size

got one more thing i'll check before i say 100% though

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
A '88 Ranger will have a smaller flange on the rear axle than a '91 Explorer (t-case end is the same size on both). At minimum you'll have to swap the rear flange on your driveshaft for a larger one (easy swap if you have 1310-series u-joints on your '88 shaft, just steal the one off the Ex. Or you could do a '98+ Supercab one-piece driveshaft swap and cover it that way as well).

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals