• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

84 Ranger 2.8 Won’t turn over from key

CShark

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I just recently got a 84 Ranger, it’s a manual and I cannot get it to crank from the key. Ive bypassed the interlock switch to eliminate that. I’ve also replaced the starter solenoid. I can get the engine to run by jumping the solenoid. When I turn the key all of the normal lights come on, it just will not turn over. went through the connections, cleaned and tightened all of them. Any help is appreciated.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to TRS :)

On the starter relay(is this what you called the solenoid?) on inner fender there are 2 larger posts and 2 smaller post(maybe only 1 smaller post it it has been replaced)

One larger post will have the battery positive cable and several other 12volt wires with it
Other larger post will have JUST ONE cable going to starter motor, only the one

Smaller post with the "S" is for starting, there is ALWAYS an "S" next to this post<<<<Did you hook this up correctly??????
There may be another smaller post with an "I", that post is not used, only "S" post will activate this relay

If you use a jumper wire from battery positive to "S" post the starter relay should "click" closed and starter motor should activate
(MAKE SURE TRANSMISSION IS IN NEUTRAL!!!!!!!)
If starter activates then starter relay and starter motor are OK

There should be a Red/Blue stripe wire on the "S" post, it comes from inside the cab, via clutch pedal switch and ignition switch

Ignition switch(turned to START)12volts-----clutch switch---(firewall connector)--------red/blue wire-------starter relay "S"post

If the dash lights come on with key on the the ignition switch has 12volts so its fusible link is OK
If possible test red/blue wire at starter relay for 12v with key in START, to confirm no 12v

You can unplug the clutch switch and test if its red/blue wire has 12v with key turned to START, if not then ignition switch may be broken or its red/blue wire is
If red/blue wire at clutch switch has 12v in START then next stop is Firewall connector, its a big one, with lots of wires but easy to unplug and plug back in which cleans the contacts
Then retest for starter working

Worst case
If you have 12v in START at clutch pedal switch, run a new wire from there thru firewall to "S" post on starter relay

CShark

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Yes, the starter relay is what I called the solenoid. I hooked the red and blue wire up to the S post. I’m guessing that it is the ignition switch since it does not have 12 volts when the key is turned to Start. Thanks

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
If you work your way back and are checking for start power at the ignition switch, look closely at the electrical part, and make sure that the switch is not coming apart. There's a plastic half that's crimped into the metal part with bent-over tabs. It's relatively common on these old trucks for the ignition switch to loosen up and cause problems.

This was my '84's switch before I pulled it back together with a tie-wrap:
84 ignition switch 2.jpg

There shouldn't be a gap where the arrow is pointing.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals