• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

87 2.9 Ranger fuel pump

253Kyle

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Fuel pump isn't turning on when key is turned on. The relay clicks but I'm not getting power to the pump. I tested the wires that goes to the pump under the drivers seat and its getting .002 volts when turned to on position and .95 volts when turned over. Relay (which is brand new) is getting 12.15 volts.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
In passenger footwell in the cab just around carpet line there is the Inertia switch, it has a heavy weight inside that will move if vehicle stops quickly or rolls over, i.e. an accident, this inertia switch passes the power to the fuel pumps.

Google: Ford Ranger inertia switch images

So you can see what you are looking for, it can also be behind the passenger side kick panel.

It has a Reset button on the top, but once "tripped" an inertia switch can never fully reset, so best to replace these if it has been "tripped".

You know the fuel pump circuit only runs for 2 seconds when key is first turned on, then won't have power again until engine RPMs are above 400.
You can test for 12volts at each terminal on the inertia switch but turn key on and off and on again.

Fuel pump power runs this way
Battery-------Fuel pump fuse----------Fuel pump relay--------inertia switch-------Fuel pumps

1987 could use a 30amp fuse for fuel pump power or a Fusible link.
This power comes from battery directly usually hooked up to the Starter Relay on the fender where battery "+" cable hooks up.

The Fuel Pump relay does NOT use this power, it PASSES this power, so the fact the Green Base fuel pump relay clicks doesn't mean this fuse or fusible link is OK.

If you pull out the fuel pump relay and with Key OFF, test each slot in the green relay base you should find 1 slot with 12volts, that's power from the fuse or fusible link, so that part is OK, if no 12volts is found then fuse or fusible link is blown

Last edited:

253Kyle

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
So I found the problem. It was the inertia switch wire. It fried. Almost couldn't even get the plug out it was melted. Can I just bypass that switch and put a fuseable link in its place?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
You should replace it, but can by-pass it.

No, a fuse or fusible link wouldn't help or be required, point of the inertia switch is to prevent fuel pump from continuing to pump out fuel in the event of an accident.
It could be there is a short in the wire that caused the melting or a fuel pump is drawing too many amps, and when you by-pass it, it may blow the 30amp fuel pump fuse in engine bay.

Computer will shut off fuel pump(via fuel pump relay) if engine RPMs drop below 400, so inertia switch is a backup system.
In an accident or roll over, assuming a fuel line breaks, the engine would stall because of lack of fuel, unless the Return fuel line was the only broken line, and if engine stayed running fuel would keep pumping out, which could cause a fire.

So up to you really, at temporary bypass should be fine but I would replace inertia switch.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals