• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

87 ranger 2.9 running like crap...need help.

warno

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Well I have put in the new O2 sensor and ran about 4 tanks of fuel through it. It didn't seem to change much as far as miss firing goes. It still starts and idles fine, then I drive about 5 blocks across town, it starts missing again and is very sluggish taking off from stop signs.

I turned my attention to possible clogged fuel filter. So I got that changed too. I haven't had much drive time on it since the new filter. But what driving it did do, it seemed to not help either.

I have been checking my MPG every time I fill up and I'm very consistent at getting 10 MPG. Which I assume is not that great.

Anything else I could start checking?

SenorNoob

TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5" Front + 4" Rear
Tire Size
245-70-R16
I have been checking my MPG every time I fill up and I'm very consistent at getting 10 MPG.
That's very bad. You're running extremely rich. Oddly enough 5 blocks seemed to be about how long it took for the O2 sensor to kick a code on mine when it was wired backwards.

After this much trouble I'm gonna say you (almost) have to have engine codes. What are they? They should be the 2 digit ones.

warno

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
so how do I go about retrieving the codes?

SenorNoob

TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5" Front + 4" Rear
Tire Size
245-70-R16
http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/OBD_I.shtml

That the cheapest way to do it. It just flashes kinda like Morse code. I've never tried with an analog voltmeter. I just use a test light.

There is a tool that can be bought that plugs into the harness and has a numerical display. I've seriously considered getting one a few times. It's like $20 - $30 though.

warno

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
OK I'll Check that out. Thanks.

On a side note I got the fuel pressure checked just for good measure. Its around 30 psi at idle and around 40 psi at about 3500 rpm. Is this good or bad?

freedom5

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
ok digging this thread back up here.

I recently found time to finally work on the O2 sensor issue. I found the wires that were supposed to go down to the sensor. the weather pack plug apparently found it's way on to the header when the previous owner had the truck and it melted all to crap. and the wires burned off. so I soldered on some new wires and got a new O2 sensor put in the exhaust.

I took the truck out for about a 10 minute test drive (some highway and in town driving) and it ran worse with the new sensor in then it did without it. it would idle ok, but as soon I would go to take off it would start sputtering and acting sluggish. had very little to no power along with a miss fire almost constantly. it seemed like it was loading up with fuel, because the exhaust smelled like fuel worse then before.

it ran so bad the whole time I was driving it, that I cut the wires that I just ran down to the new sensor. it instantly ran better. all the power it had lost came right back and the miss fire went away.

so my new question is, why would it run like absolute crap with a new O2 sensor in the system and then run better without it?
Don't give up on the 02 sensor yet. The computer has adjusted to running without one and it takes up to about 90 miles for the computer to adjust after being disconnected for more than 30 minutes or a change in a sensor. Also run some injector cleaner through a couple of gas tank refills.
I had similar problems and now put a can of Berryman's B-12 in about every 3rd fill up. I also found the Engine coolant sensor ( not the one that goes to the temp guage) can also cause it to run like crap.

warno

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
So now I think the fuel pump took a crap. Here's my dilemma, do I spend the huge money on the new pumps or do I build a new fuel tank and buy a In line pump off eBay and just run that? The reason I ask is because I can't hear either pumps running and there is no fuel at the rail. I know there is fuel in the tank. Also the factory fuel tank is leaking. it leaks somewhere in the middle (1/2 tank area) of the tank. And the sending unit doesn't work. I have been going off the trip for fill ups since I have owned the truck. So basically pumps are junk, leaking stock tank, no sending unit.

I'm more than comfortable building a fuel cell. I have build 3 successful cells in the past few years. That's no issue to me. Like I said the sending unit doesn't work so whatever on that as well. I could get a inline pump on eBay for dirt cheap compared to the factory setup.

So what do you guys think? Factory pumps or new fuel system?

jhammel85

Did you confirm that the relays were OK? If they clicked, make sure the same voltage in is coming back out. It seems odd that both are dead. Either way, the leaking tank is a problem...I'd say new tank or used tank and a new pump. But if you want a fuel cell, and it works for you, go for it. Just stay away from airtex pumps. They're cheap like their price!

warno

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Funny I just thought that maybe the relays were bad. I still need to check that.

The cell I was going to build will mount up under the bed like the stock one.

Will be back with new update on the relay situation soon.

warno

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Well I went out. And the damn thing started. So apparently I have another gremlin in this thing. I guess I will keep an eye on it.

jhammel85

Sounds electrical to me. Ugh, the worst...

Try shaking the wiring harness with the key on engine off. Hopefully something shows up.

warno

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Well I put in a new relay for the pumps and still no results. So I turn now to the pumps.

If I buy an aftermarket pump what pressure and volume should I get so I can still use my factory regulator?

warno

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I have been reading a lot on this problem and I keep reading about a fuel shut off switch. I did back into a pole about a week before this problem arose. Could this be contributing to my problem? Possible inertia switch bad?

warno

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
OK a little update.

I just put in a fuel cell, since my factory tank was leaking horribly, and took it for a test drive. It seemed to run better than ever. I built my fuel cell with a sump in it, so it gravity feeds to the high pressure pump on the frame rail. I have also put on a new high pressure pump. I'm wondering if it was possible that the in tank wasn't working and the high pressure pump was doing all the work. And that's why it ran like garbage.

Would the high pressure pull fuel from the tank without the in tank pump working?

I also want to ask for sure if the 2.9 can run on the high pressure pump alone with a gravity feed to it?

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals