• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

87 Ranger 302 Swap

JuJu1289

U.S. Military - Active
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Hello all, its been about 6 months of research and saving now and I think ive got enough money to get the swap under way. My truck is a 87 supercab 2.9 2wd and I plan on going carbed. I dont have a real plan for what engine im going to get, just all depends on what is at the pull apart in Louisville. It will prolly end up being from a mustang. I just have a couple of questions I need answered of stuff to add to my shopping list. Remember im on a budget and dont really have the money for all new parts.

1) Ignition: I was looking at distributors and I saw the HEI one with the build in coil. Are these worth it or not? Heres two of the distributors I was looking at.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FORD-PRO-COMP-READY-TO-RUN-DISTRIBUTOR-289-302-SBF_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem5d277bf8dcQQitemZ400094394588QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories#ht_2884wt_939

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FORD-289-302-5-0-DISTRIBUTOR-HEI-DISTRIBUTOR-6502-R_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem4cece03fc8QQitemZ330391633864QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories#ht_6304wt_1165

2) Is the msd 6al ignition box a must have, in alot of the 302 builds I see guys with this on there. The least expencive one is about $200, so i was just wonderin if this is needed to run.

3) Cam options: I done some research on cams and how to tell the stats of one. Gas mileage is a consideration but I also want a engine that can put out some power.

4) Power Steering and Alternator: They say the v6 alternator and power steering will work on the 302 with the correct brackets but i can never find the part number for these brackets. Some people give part number but not for which company so i cant find the brackets.

5) Carburetor: Wanting a 4 barrel carb and I think this is a pretty good one. tell me what you think of it.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HLY-0-80457S/

6) Headers: Looking for some used ones, I have a 3" body lift on so if you have some recommendation for headers preferably under $150.

If you can answer any of these questions I would really appreciate your help for getting on my way to the v8!

zukirider21

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
hey you dont need the 6al ignition controller. in fact, its really not worth spending much more than $50 if its going on a mild motor. and HEI distributors are pretty pointless on a ford. thats chevy crap and besides theyre big and bulky and can interfere with stuff.

you can get brand new hedman headers from summit specifically designed for a 302 in the ranger for $167. otherwise you dont have too many other options. i think someone said shorty foxbody mustang headers will work but im NOT positive on that.

the carburetor you linked to is the exact one i have (except mines not polished). pretty standard. should be great for a mild motor with decent manifold vacuum.

i really wouldnt bother with a cam unless youre willing to spend money on rockers, springs, retainers, pushrods, lifters, and a timing gear and chain set. and once youre that far into it, you REALLY should port your heads. otherwise youll get a super mild cam and basically waste your time. and if you get one thats too serious, youll have HORRIBLE fuel economy, a rich idle (the carb you want doesnt like low manifold vacuum from big cams, it leads to a rich idle that cant be adjusted).

Last edited:

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
you can get brand new hedman headers from summit specifically designed for a 302 in the ranger for $167. otherwise you dont have too many other options..
:icon_rofl: Those Hedmans suck in a 2wd application. The right side dumps straight down into the axle. Not sure if they're any better for a 4WD. Other options are the Hedman 88400's, Shelby type Tri-Y's, Hookers, Torque Monsters. Might be one or more I missed.

JuJu1289

U.S. Military - Active
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Wasnt sure if I got a enlarged cam if I would also have to upgrade all the valvetrain. Ill prolly just wait on the cam then till I can do it right and do it all at once. Even thought I have a body lift I dont want to get a larger set of headers and them not fit, although i do want a longer type for better lower end power.

okietheranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO
Transmission
Manual
Wasnt sure if I got a enlarged cam if I would also have to upgrade all the valvetrain. Ill prolly just wait on the cam then till I can do it right and do it all at once. Even thought I have a body lift I dont want to get a larger set of headers and them not fit, although i do want a longer type for better lower end power.
i used headman headers 89500 they worked very well with little mods, in my case it was a 89 5.0 with the vert mounts swaped side to side and a 3 inch body lift, just had to do a little tiny grinding on the pass side

red85

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
306 ci
Transmission
Automatic
hey you dont need the 6al ignition controller. in fact, its really not worth spending much more than $50 if its going on a mild motor. and HEI distributors are pretty pointless on a ford. thats chevy crap and besides theyre big and bulky and can interfere with stuff.
Not true. I run a Chevy HEI module with a Ford DuraSpark distributor. It doesn't interfere with anything at all and there's no rev limiter.

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Umm, he was referring to the HEI distributor itself, not the module you're using.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals