• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

88' 2.9 - What muffler sounds good?

scoob8000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
1988 2.9l ranger

Stock cats, single 2.25" pipe straight out the back below the bumper.

I currently have a cherry bomb glasspack on it, and I'm tired of the ricer fart pipe sound it gave me.

What mufflers have you other small engine guys had good luck with?

Obviously, I want something deeper and less ricey sounding. :)
I've had good luck with flowmaster 40's on my v8 cars, but the 2.9 is another story. :)

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I have pacesetter headers that are 2.5" out from the collector. It goes into a Dynomax Super Turbo 2.5" in and 2x2.25" out. It's fake duals, but not really feasible since the 2.9L has only one oxygen sensor.

I like the way it sounds, I have an audio clip somewhere at home. It doesn't sound farty at all. It's actually a video I made, but not good to post here since I exceeded the speed limit. Will post the audio portion sometime this weekend for you.

Pete

Rammunition360

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
hell with flow 40's get the single chamber flowmasters, or magnaflow si/so...the mag will cost more though

scoob8000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the replies.

I think I might just try the knockoff flowmaster route first. As long as it isn't "farty" sounding. :)

madman_2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
245 4.0L OHV
Transmission
Automatic
i bought my glasspacks off of ebay. a guy makes them and sells them on there. they are rifled which i thought was pretty cool. just go to ebay and look up glass packs. theyre just plain aluminum with no paint. theyre pretty good for the money too. i bought a pair for 40 bucks plus i think 5 for shipping. i love em. he makes 18, 9, and 14. he might make longer but im not sure. i need to post new pics of my explorer sometime and get a good sound and video of it. ill make it shoot flames too.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals