• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

88 Ranger 4:56 gears

ohiogary

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I have a 88 ranger 4x4 2.9 and I have a L.S. 4:56 gears and have had a hard time trying to find another one. Im not sure if this was the orginal rear or not. Not sure if it would be better to take this one and have it rebuilt. Any suggestions are appreciated.
Thanks
Gary

wahlstrom1

J-man HD Mech
OTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
4.56 gears are a rare fleet option, or aftermarket type deal. It would be very rare to find a vehicle that was sold publically that had them. It doesn't cost much to rebuild a diff, depending on whats wrong with it....whatcha need? Seals are $75, bearing $125, brakes $150 ish.....all depending where you get your parts etc.

-andrew

Last edited:

ohiogary

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
spider gears

After looking at the gears and what has went wrong I noticed one of the spider gears are have a chipped tooth, so I figure its in need of a new spider gears and also the clutch pack, and try to tighten things up a bit, I guess thats what happened to the spider gear, to much slop. Any comments would be appreciated. Where would be the best source for economy spider gears and clutch pack, Im sure I will have to replace bearings also.
Gary

wahlstrom1

J-man HD Mech
OTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Cheapest route might be pulling them from a junkyard truck as spiders don't usually 'wear' out, but I'd get new l/s clutches from a place like 'gear center' or ford. I get my bearings from a wholesale dealer called BC Bearing, but depending where you live you may have to buy from your local part source etc.

-andrew

ohiogary

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
got her apart

I just spent the last few hours, disassembling, what a bite, the size of the 4:56 ring gear would not allow the pinion pin to back out, had to remove the two c-clips, remove the axles and pull the differenial out in one unit, now its off to the junk yard to pull another apart to remove the spider gears and the upper gear and clutch pack. Is there and easier way to disasembled?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals