• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

89' Ranger 2.9L V6 Help Please

awec

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Hello all, this is my first post on this forum. Really any forum ever, for that matter.

I purchased an old 89' Ranger with the 2.9l V6 & automatic trans about 2 years ago with no back windshield for $1200. Had my mechanic put in a windshield immediately, drove it around for a couple weekends, created a laundry list of items need addressed, mostly odds and ends like tailgate not opening, no brake lights, broken glovebox, nothing crazy, so I take it back to him.

Well, 2 years go by as my previously favorite mechanic in my city gives me the run around every month. I know, I know, i should have picked it up after the first month. Nevertheless, I have now towed it back from that pos' shop and it is parked in the driveway.

Did an oil change, filled up her radiator and resevoir with coolant, filled the power steering fluid, checked all other fluids besides trans (couldn't find dipstick, although this forum has helped me with that, will work on that tomorrow)
Tried to start it up, just clicking. Replaced battery. Tried again, tried to crank but couldn't quite. Replaced starter, and, boom! Started right up, but idling ROUGH. Was idling in park at 2k RPMS. Put her in reverse and rpms shot back down to about 1k-1100.

Reversed out of the drive with no power steering (even though I topped her off) went around the block, she WOULD NOT shift into 2nd. I seem to remember that before I dropped her off at the mechanic that she had trouble shifting until she warmed up and had been driven down the road a while.

Driving around the neighborhood was real bad. Backed her into the drive and immediately noticed path of dripping oil all the way down the drive (and the road). Opened up the hood to find it smoking from the connection to engine & the exhaust. (Burning off dripped oil, believe) Then found a small OPEN HOLE in the engine that was the most wet spot. I think I can see threads inside the hole, as obviously something is supposed to be there that is not. Mind you, I still have been unable to find the oil OR tranny dipstick/tube.

I come here today hoping for some assistance on what is supposed to be in that hole, and maybe some idea of where to begin with the rough idle and running. Will post dropbox links of oil leak/hole location.

Thanks for your time, guys. I appreciate any assistance greatly.

Video (does not show leaking hole, lol)

Zoomed In Photo
20240203_182231.jpg

Will comment a screenshot and link of another post on the ranger station from 2013 where a gentleman noticed the same thing with his truck. It was not further discussed in the thread.

If anymore pictures or videos will help please do not hesitate to let me know! Thanks again.

awec

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Here are the screenshots from another poster from 2013 with the same exact open hole in the engine. As stated, it was not discussed further in the thread. I have searched for this same issue and have not been able to find it anywhere online, at least not yet.

Attachments

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Hello Awec! Welcome to TRS. Are you military? Just askin :)
I can't help you much with your truck but there are plenty here who can. Good luck with it, shame how that dude did on it

awec

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Hello Awec! Welcome to TRS. Are you military? Just askin :)
I can't help you much with your truck but there are plenty here who can. Good luck with it, shame how that dude did on it
I am not! Although growing up next to Ft. Campbell has always been a big point of pride for us around here. Plenty of buddies who have served/still are!

Thank you for your words of encouragement! It is easy to get discouraged dealing with such an older truck & only just getting started into wrenching on my own vehicles. I have a long way to go!

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Hey man, there's a few of us old folks here who Love these old trucks :)

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Here are the screenshots from another poster from 2013 with the same exact open hole in the engine. As stated, it was not discussed further in the thread. I have searched for this same issue and have not been able to find it anywhere online, at least not yet.
Yours is missing the dipstick

The oil is shooting out and hitting the exhaust and burning off.

The screenshot from the old post...the arrow is pointing to a drilled hole in the frame rail...not the engine. His dipstick is clearly visable.

The rough/high idle sounds like a possible vacuum leak

awec

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Yours is missing the dipstick

The oil is shooting out and hitting the exhaust and burning off.

The screenshot from the old post...the arrow is pointing to a drilled hole in the frame rail...not the engine. His dipstick is clearly visable.

The rough/high idle sounds like a possible vacuum leak
Awesome, man. Thank you for the insight!

awec

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Hello once again gentlemen! I cannot find a replacement dipstick tube/dipstick online so I am attempting to source one from a junkyard. Do we know if the Cologne V6 from 91 to 92 share the same dipstick/tube as the 86-90?

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Hello once again gentlemen! I cannot find a replacement dipstick tube/dipstick online so I am attempting to source one from a junkyard. Do we know if the Cologne V6 from 91 to 92 share the same dipstick/tube as the 86-90?
They should.

try www.car-part.com

Nicholas D

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Did you find your transmission dipstick? It's right here (pic). I have very limited experience with my truck as I've only had it for a few months, but it has a small transmission leak and the first time I noticed it was when it started shifting hard. I realized the leak, topped it off Mercon V ATF and the hard shifting immediately went away. I haven't had time to really address it but my first step is to drain the ATF, change the filter and gasket and see if that fixes it. I've heard (take that for what it's worth - probably not much) that if the truck has a difficult time shifting until it gets warmed up it can be a symptom of a clogged transmission filter. Once the oil warms up, it can pass through the filter more easily. Again, this is just what I've heard so I'd wait for confirmation from an expert on here. Either way, changing your ATF fluid and replacing the filter isn't going to hurt, right.

dipstick.jpg

awec

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Did you find your transmission dipstick? It's right here (pic). I have very limited experience with my truck as I've only had it for a few months, but it has a small transmission leak and the first time I noticed it was when it started shifting hard. I realized the leak, topped it off Mercon V ATF and the hard shifting immediately went away. I haven't had time to really address it but my first step is to drain the ATF, change the filter and gasket and see if that fixes it. I've heard (take that for what it's worth - probably not much) that if the truck has a difficult time shifting until it gets warmed up it can be a symptom of a clogged transmission filter. Once the oil warms up, it can pass through the filter more easily. Again, this is just what I've heard so I'd wait for confirmation from an expert on here. Either way, changing your ATF fluid and replacing the filter isn't going to hurt, right.

View attachment 105667
That is a very helpful place to start and I really appreciate your reply. Thank you so much man!
I'm a traveling plumber and can only mess with my vehicles over the weekend, but I'm excited to get it sorted out!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals