• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

89 ranger xlt extracb 4x4 2.9l 5sp man

forgey4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l both
Transmission
Manual
Hello,
Bought an 89 truck want to start tomorrow, but it has been sitting for 8ish yrs. I put new fuel pump, filter changed cap rotor, plugs and wires, changed oil and antifreeze, is there any thing else I might want to do before I start it? Any I deas would be cool. Thanks

black_demon69

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
start it and see how it runs also check trans oil level diff oil level for front and rear, check brakes and replace parts as necessary, pcv valve air filter, see how it runs and you will know if there are anymore problems with motor.

tmcalavy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Your on the right track. I always do a severe service maintenance check/routine when I get a new/used vehicle. All the fluids, yep all of them, suspension and brakes check, engine tuneup, accessories check-n-fix (wiper blades, etc.), fresh gas, new filters all around, battery replacement, and a good road test. Then drive it yourself for awhile to get all the bugs before you pass it on to someone else in the family to drive.

forgey4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l both
Transmission
Manual
Ok cool, do you know if there is a second fuel filter on these, or just the one on the frame rail
1392564662838.jpg

1392564736428.jpg

1392564785352.jpg

Not bad for $150 you can see the only dent on back corner

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
as far as i know, theres only the 1 fuel filter there on the drivers side framerail. looks really nice, very clean/straight truck. i would get as much of the old fuel out of it as possible, put fresh in, might have to do a 2nd fuel filter change after a couple of tanks of gas have been ran through, maybe have a bottle of fuel stabilizer ran through with the first tank to help clean any varnish from the old gas from the lines and injectors.

Last edited:

swynx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Sea foam

I didn't really think the stuff worked till I bought my Mazda. The previous owner put 300k on it and alot of the gas was from a drum of gas they got from cars that came in (owns a junkyard). Ran like crap for awhile then I put in eafoam. Ran awesome after that.

forgey4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l both
Transmission
Manual
Ok cool thanks for reply

forgey4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l both
Transmission
Manual
Well it fired up today, now the fun begins I have to change out the slave cylinder the guy I bought it from put the wrong one in, probably best that way I can make sure everything thing else was installed corectly. Pretty excited she runs...now I can start the clean up.:yahoo:

Tuner710

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Nice truck!
I was messing with my 88 which had sat for 8 years as well, rolled it through by hand, checked fluids etc. Decided to buy a battery and just see if it would turn through with the starter to kinda see what shape things were in...and the damn thing started! Ran like crap and smelled horrible, but man was I surprised lol

forgey4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l both
Transmission
Manual
Bult ford tough, was kinda shocked, figured injectors or something would be pluged. I had an 88 bronco 2 a long time ago loved that thing, I liked the vent windows in the door, I just found this truck first. Did you end up having to do alot of work to it?

forgey4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l both
Transmission
Manual
Went pickin today, and got the bent axle shaft replacement, and got it installed. While I was at it I just wnet ahead and did the brakes since the one side was covered in oil still have to put diff cover on but am thinking of replacing it since it is the fiberglass one and cracked around the edge since the last guy decided to put three gallons of sealant on it, plus might be nice to have a drain if I want to change fluid. Anybody got a lead on one that they like.

forgey4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l both
Transmission
Manual
Well got everything put back together today, still have to bleed slave and brakes, and put new muffler on but then it should be road worthy. After tearing everything out of the truck to get to the slave cylinder found out the the retaining clip that holds the line in was put in backwards and all I would have really done was pull the little clip out and turn it around. Oh well found lots of other things wrong when I did it, like three of the tranny to block bolts were loose and there was one missing plus didnt use any lock tight. Put the rims and tires off my bronco 2 on it also the rear tire on the bent shaft side was bent so I plan on driving the truck, havent decided what I am going to do with the bronco yet. Always wanted to cut the roof off of one, only one project at a time. Also washed it, it looks better than I thought clean, will post picture tomorrow. Well have taken enough of your time.

forgey4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l both
Transmission
Manual
Well here is a picture of it washed with the different rims and tires. On the slave that I couldnt get bled, I ended up taking the resivor black rubber and loosely put the cap on and pumping it until all air was out of master, worked pretty good. Here is also a picture of my 89 bronco 2

Attachments

forgey4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l both
Transmission
Manual
Well got the new muffler the old one was rotted out, I have to use c clamps dont have access to a welder right now, but will get it done later. Am going to try and bleed power steering pump when I started it yesterday it only made noise when I was turning the wheel, so hopefully its not fried, then it can be fully road tested.

forgey4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l both
Transmission
Manual
Well finally got around to changing oil filter and whomever changed it last had the filter on so tight that I had to pull the the adapter thingy off and had to tear filter apart and had to relief cut the filter by the threads and still had to beat it off with screwdriver all the way off. Supriseingly didnt screw the threads up, put back together no leaks, yeah!!! Weird never have had one be such a pain in the arse ever

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals