• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

91 dropped 3rd, possible swap

William Spitzer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
i got a good deal on a 91 with a 4.0, 4x4, 5 speed, automatic transfer case, with transmission code "M". Its dropped third gear, so im looking to swap in a transmission. I have somebody that will sell me a transmission out of a totaled ranger, which is an 88, 4x2, 5 speed with the 2.9, transmission code "M". What all is going to have to be changed?Is the bell housing bolt patern the same? Will i have to swap tailshafts?

natmanjoh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Automatic
from what i've read in the tech library, 4x4 trannys and 4x2 trannys are different internals. if you have a 4x4, you need to swap it with another 4x4 tranny.

if you look at the pics and specs of the trannys under the tech library http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/ManualTransmission.html they even look different (4x4 and 4x2).

also, most 5-speeds for a 2.9 wont hold up to a 4.0 for too long (hit and miss) unless you baby it. best 5-speed tranny for a 4.0 seems to be the m50d-r1. maybe someone with better knowledge on the internals will be able to answer better.

otherwise, use the search engine for the forum and check out the tech library. i remember seeing a thread about someone swapping internals from a 4x4 into a 4x2 tranny, i think it was a fm146.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals