• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

91 stubby ranger build thread

dvdswan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 2WD
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Keep your mind like an umbrella, it only works if its open... Continually learning.
It will make a difference. Even at 4.5* if you hit a bump just right you can still get a small death wobble.

Northidahotrailblazer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
8 inches
Tire Size
37"
It will make a difference. Even at 4.5* if you hit a bump just right you can still get a small death wobble.
I had death wobble at first I found my track bar bushing was worn out and the bolt was the wrong size. But when I fixed that my death wobble went away. It was mainly just it wondered so bad at above 55 it was scary to drive.

I rebuilt my spare steering box today and tapped it for hydro steer. My old box was making a grinding noise and was leaking out the pitman arm.Took it into town and got on the hwy took it to 70 and it is night and day better. I’m going to work on getting my sway bar on and see how that helps which I think it will. It’s moving along!

Northidahotrailblazer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
8 inches
Tire Size
37"
I've got a few more things done on the Ranger. I pulled out my Chinese winch and put my Smittybuilt in. Had to trim away more of my grille which olwell but I didn't really want to do any more but it fits and its on there.
I did the power steering upgrade, to the jeep liberty pump. I'm not sure if it will be enough pump to do hydo assist steering now. But I'm going to try it. I have the underdrive pully on it, well see how it does. I bought a G3 250 amp alt, I'm excited to get it on there. Added some hood lights, Really like how they look.

I've been driving it every week up to the mine. I work out of town on a rotation schedule. Other than burning oil, which it will burn a qrt in 4 days. lol But it drives ok, Goes 70-75 on the flat. Its getting around 13 mpg, which I'm happy with. my stock explorer got 14-15. and this thing is a monster truck compared to it.
IMG_4424[1].JPG
IMG_4424[1].JPG
IMG_4425[1].JPG
IMG_4413[1].JPG
IMG_4414[1].JPG
IMG_4429[1].JPG

Northidahotrailblazer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
8 inches
Tire Size
37"
Well I didn't do anything to the ranger on this days off. I did buy a Brand new yukon grizzly locker ($300 bucks brand new in the box market place for the win) for the D44, ordered 488 gears and a rebuild kit. Started cutting of the long side coil mounts. Have some more trimming to do with the plasma cutter and all get ready to narrow it. I'm not 100% sure I want to do it yet, but Idk I don't want this thing to be to wide. I feel its close already, I get that i can buy custom back spaced wheels and all that but its already 10 in wider than the D30. I do have an early D30 that is narrower than the newer ones but still.

Also got the B2 into the shop, need to pull the engine on it, and see about a rebuild.

Attachments

Northidahotrailblazer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
8 inches
Tire Size
37"
Well its been a slow go. I've got my D44 pretty much ready to be narrowed. I think i got a guy that will do it hopefully. Well see he was kind of being difficult as to what I wanted but sounded like he would do it. Well see hopefully it works out. I have another D44 from a 79 that I want to narrow also. I've the grizzle locker, bearing kit and 488 gears for it.

Attachments

Northidahotrailblazer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
8 inches
Tire Size
37"
Well I don't have much to report on other than. My chrome moly axle shafts came in, and I checked fitment and it looks like it right were it needs to be! Got my press setup just a 12 ton that I added a 12 ton air over hydraulic jack to. Should do the job pretty well. My Detroit locker came in for 8.8. Everything is almost in place. Going to start building the axles as soon as the cold weather sets in.

Also on a side note I noticed my steering has been getting worse. Well I go the wife to turn the steering wheel and one of the 6 month old TREs that on the drag link, that I put the Core on is shot. I thought I had a spare but no i had a right hand thread one. olwell

Attachments

Northidahotrailblazer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
8 inches
Tire Size
37"
Well I don't have much to update yet. I had one of my tie rod ends go bad, just rotated my tires. One of the brand new ball joints is bad. Spicer an all and 3ish months old... I'm so tired of this D30. Weather is starting to turn up here. last of my parts are pretty much here. Need to get going on regearing the axles so there ready to start going under the ranger.

I pickup up a 81 ford 9 inch. For $75 bucks. 31 spline big bearing truck 9 inch. I pulled it apart to check. I'm not sure what I want to do, I can narrow it and do a 9 inch instead off the 8.8. But i have all the parts for the 8.8 locker, gears and spare parts. I'm just torn to run 5 on 5.5 I have wheel adaptors to do the job but I really don't like adaptors. I'm just bull headed I guess. but the real issue is my flat bed is 6 ft wide, and currently my tires are inside it by a few inches on either side. So I have to get new rims anyways but I really don't want to play around with having different rims front and back. My D44 is 59"s wide now that I narrowed it 6 inches. So I don't have a lot of room up front to play with. I can narrow this 9 in to fit early bronco Long shafts that are upgraded to big bearing and 31 spline, through my explorer disk brakes on it, ether redrill my rotors or buy some curry ones. Or order some dutchman shafts for the 8.8 that are stock lengths with 5 on 5.5. Maybe I can try my hand at drilling the stock axle flanges for 5 on 5.5? I just hear that theres not a lot of meat left on the stock flange and drill rotors to match. I don't what I want to do. I just wish I wouldn't of bought all this stuff for the 8.8. I guess ill just think on it some. do some more googling...

Northidahotrailblazer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
8 inches
Tire Size
37"
Well it was a lot of learning but I believe I got it. Re-geared to 513s and the grizzle locker installed. I'm working on getting the wheel ends on right now and will be getting it under the ranger! I'm going to work on a home made truss for it once I get it under the ranger and under its own weight. It had a home built truss/3rd link mount built on it, but I'm pretty sure it was going to hit and I want to put the 3rd link mount on the passenger side since I have way more room on that side. I already got the D30 out from the ranger so its go time!

Attachments

Northidahotrailblazer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
8 inches
Tire Size
37"
Haven't posted I a while. Got the axle pretty much together. Got my lower link mounts on the axle. I looks like I'm going to have to move them in some. It looks like my tires are going to hit pretty good if i don't. I ordered a few more parts, some came in, new duff coil buckets, mile marker lock outs. I had to order a truss. I wanted to put my 3rd link on the passenger side but that's just not going to work with the exhaust right there. I have some room right next to the front drive line, So i'm going to do the link there on top of the diff. Thats why I ordered a truss. I really wanted to get more done, but it was a busy 2 weeks over the holidays.

Got my Tie rod bar on, and went Over the knuckle and it doesn't hit anything! So it looks like Ill get some better angles now that I went higher. Now i just need to match it with my Pan hard bar, after I get my links taken care off.

Attachments

Northidahotrailblazer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
8 inches
Tire Size
37"
Well got quite a bit done this days off. I disconnected the fuel lines and got them moved out of the way. I'll let that air out while I'm out of town working. Hoping next week, I'll have the 3rd link built and the axle sitting on its own weight.
I'm hoping the tie rod from the steering box to the y link gets a better angle. Its still pretty steep even with over the knuckle. I really don't want to hack on the truss any more. Ive already cut a foot and half of it, and If i go with a the lower track bar mounting holes ill have to trim the truss. After I get everything looking ok, I have to pull the axle and weld everything up.

Then I have to make a decision of tires/rims. I bought a some decent 17 in wheels this summer and I want to run 37s but I don't know how these wild horse springs are going to sit. So even though I don't want to run these 35s but it just doesn't make since not to, they only had half the summer drove on them and there's just no reason not to run them.... I just don't have 15 inch rims that are 5 on 5.5 so i'm stuck.... buy rims or tires. Well rims are cheaper so ill probably just go that route. I've

Attachments

Northidahotrailblazer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
8 inches
Tire Size
37"
Well I'm getting closer! I made a deal with a buddy on his 37s he had, got them mounted up. Got my 3rd link welded on, had to trim a bunch of my engine cross member to get 3-4 inches of up travel. had to cut off my track bar mount on the axle and build a new one. I got a lot done. Got tires on and it sitting on its own weight. I like I said before I wasn't sure if they would fit, The wild horse springs compressed more that the xj rusty off road ones for some reason. Still don't have a clue why because there suppose to be super soft, some where around 130 PPI and the EB wild horse ones are way higher. Idk doesn't matter I'm committed to the wild horse springs and being that there progressive they should be better. But anyways, I should of took a final picture. Because my track bar is on now. Pretty much have to pull the axle weld everything up and reinstall and move to the back. I have more height now, it was hard to tell. until I got the tires on and Yeah baby! 37s it is, to fit 40s Id just have to trim some of the fenders and they would fit. I'm pretty happy. I was going to move my 3rd link down some but Its pretty much level and Cutting some of my cross member off after talking to a few people of FB seemed like a better move. Getting closer! pretty happy.

Attachments

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
Cool build, I love me a good stubby.

dvdswan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 2WD
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Keep your mind like an umbrella, it only works if its open... Continually learning.

Northidahotrailblazer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
8 inches
Tire Size
37"
Should of took a better picture but I found a good deal! Don't know when I'm going to do it, but it looks like the goal will be to blow up the 4.0 this summer and go V8 next winter! 98 explorer 5.0. Guy said it was gone through, Idk, has GT40 heads on it. I've got a M5R2 from a 98 4.2 f150. Ill have to pull it out of the bronco. Also have a 205. Looking at different options for for EFI. I've looked for a good deal for a while and its been like impossible to find a 96-97 one. So I'm guessing that this 98 has pats. I'm guessing that's why the guy sold it. He didn't want to deal with it with his Early bronco. He decided to LS swap it instead. It was a mad dash before work to get it yesterday morning. So I didn't talk much. He gave me the wiring harness and computer.

anyone have experience with Edelbrock Pro-flo 4 systems? I know its not cheap but it looks like it might be something to look into.

Attachments

Last edited:

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
For a lighter transfer case option, the 4406 from '97-03 F150's work nice, that's what I have in my V8 Explorer and have another for my other V8 Explorer :), slip spline rear output is less desirable but whatever...

Yes '98 will be PATS but I think most people go megasquirt or microsquirt but there's a bunch of options anymore... luckily I have a '97 mountaineer stashed for when I get to fixing up the '67 mustang and go from the 289 to a fuel injected 302 with 4R70W instead of C4... not against 289's or C4's but I got a $200 mountaineer...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals