• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

92 ranger 3.0, runs very rich

dmc919

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
just bought this ranger for $500 great body/interior. problem is it idles good but cant give it any gas or else it will spit and sputter throwing out tons of black smoke. there is a CEL on but I cant read it, scanner says theres a shorted wire, so i tried the jumper method to read the CEL blinking and it still wont work. also the people i bought it from had to wire it up so that the fuel pump runs non stop when the key is in the ON position when the motor isnt running. they said it ran good for a few months that way. the truck has new cap/rotor/wires/plugs and a new fuel pump. I dont know where to start to find the problem if i cant read the codes.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I'd start with finding out why the pump needs to be wired that way and get that fixed. Then I'd look at the O2 sensor if the problem persists.

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I cant help with the cel issue. I don't understand the fuel pump being wired hot all the time....... I would figure that out......maybe the relay or inertia switch was bad.

heptofite

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
is it a flex fuel truck? i don't know if they had flex fuel in 92, but if that sensor was out you'd run rich.

course o2 can do it as well.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15

dmc919

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I was looking for where they spliced into the wiring to make the full pump run non stop and couldnt find anything, it is running through the relay because i pulled it out and the pump stoped, i looked on the inertia switch and its pressed down. also i was revving the motor and when i hold it full throttle the vehicle doesnt accel at all and it backfired, sounded like on the intake side. now if i give it about 5% throttle, just the littlest amount it will accel normal for the amount of throttle i'm giving it. also about the o2 sensor, wouldnt that only matter once it's warmed up, because it runs this way the second you start it up.

feellnfroggy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Id check the TPS if its dying with pedal. The upperend is real easy to take apart and its very worth it in order to clean out all the carbon that I guaruntee is built up in the components.

I just read your second post, your timing is off.

dmc919

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Ok, I checked my timing and it's at 16 advanced, spout out. tried to set it at 10 but it's almost impossible to get to the dizzy hold down bolt, let alone turn it, lol. noticed something interested tho, i revved the motor while checking timing and it would miss a little at higher rpms and with every miss would make the light not blink but it also does it at low rpms while i press the throttle real fast to wide open, the light would completly turn off for half a second then the backfireing insued. is the massive amount of fuel being dumped into the cylinder blowing out the spark causing the timing light to not blink, or will the light blink if the wiring is getting power even tho the spark plug isnt sparking?

dmc919

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
also, i put the spout back in and the ignition timing doesnt move at all, idleing or revving the motor.

dmc919

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
i have a 94 ranger with the 4.0 in it and it will idle fine but if u throw it to the floor or half throttle it spits and sputters and backfires and pops ive had it looked at several times by a mechanic and he tld me the fuel pump was bad so i put a new pump on it and it straightend up for the day then the next morning it was back to the same thing so i took it back to him he hooked it up to the test again and it said the mass air flow sensor was out so i bought a new sensor and put it on there and it ran fine for about 30 minutes then it is back to the same thing it is going back to the shop tomarro does anyone have any ideas or the same problems?

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals