• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

92 ranger body on 98+ frame- possible?

purpony

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Does anyone know if dimensionally a 92 body would fit a 98+ frame? Would the body mounts be the same or not?

I have a 92 standard cab long bed that i am planning on doing a frame up resto on along with a 302. I purchased a rolled over 97 mountaineer for some parts and got to thinking, since its going to be a street driven only truck (lifted) maybe i could use the explorer frame with IRS front suspension.. after looking at the frame it dont think its going to work, but why not a 98+ ranger frame? I would have the 92 looks with the 98+ better suspesion, better brakes, CV joints upfront (was thinking of using the explorer AWD t-case), and also would have rack and pinion steering.....

anyone have any input to this? has it been done? I have searched without much luck-

thanks

ZMan

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
MTOTM Winner
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Rangers
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
4/4, bagged
the 98+ standard cab frames are 3 inches longer. But they're 2 piece, they're sectioned at the front leaf spring hangers so I don't think shortening it will be THAT big of a deal seeing as how its just riveted together.

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I did a measurement of the width at the transfer case area on my 2000 in comparison with a 93-94 awiile back and the later one is 1 1/2" wider. Think even more towards the front. I've got the Ford shop manual that should have all the dimensions if need be.
Dave

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
There is no mechanical problem that cannot be solved with a Torch, sawsall, chopsaw, plasma cutter and MIG welder (or some combination of these tools)

Can you do it? Absolutely.

the question is: what will you have to do to accomplish it?

AD

Last edited:

JaBradt85

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
98-up Rangers are 2 piece frames?

HAPPY_RANGER_GUY

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
...since its going to be a street driven only truck (lifted) maybe i could use the explorer frame with IRS front suspension...
Confused...why lift it if it's going to be street driven only truck?? Want to burn more fuel for some reason? Or do you prefer to spend more on tires, maybe that's it.

...after looking at the frame it dont think its going to work, but why not a 98+ ranger frame? I would have the 92 looks with the 98+ better suspesion...
Be careful with that statement. I've heard a lot of people on here btchin up a storm about replacing ball joints and other suspension related parts. I'll stick with the pre-98 suspension anyday.

T.

Mutant Pony

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
What the heck is a sotch?
I was wondering about that one too!

I would much rather have the '98 body on the older frame but, thats my opinion. I like my Rangers to be dependable.
2wd-'98 and up frame
4wd-'97 and older frame

LittleBigFoot

V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
79-00
Make / Model
Mostly Ford.
Engine Size
Building a 408w
Transmission
Automatic
To be honest, I hate my IFS.

Expensive to lift, limited flex, POS if you ask me.

If I had known anything about trucks when I bought mine, I would have stuck with a pre 98 for sure.

Bent Bolt

Ford Technician
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Supercharged 4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Personally, I like the ride of my 87 over my 08.

purpony

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
its going to be lifted just because i like lifted trucks. I know the IFS will cost more to list but so be it. I was looking at the RCD coil over lift. I dont care anything about flex- once again its a street truck. What i gain with the IRS is the CV front axles which will allow me to use the AWD T-case from my explorer. The engine will be a 331/347 combo making decent power so the AWD will be fun. A few years back i had a supercharge v8 awd explorer and it was a blast. Great in the rain and snow and would just launch with zero traction issues. Also, i want to stick with the 92 because personally i love the body style and also it was my first vehicle.... which i want to keep for a long long time, however the 2.9 and auto tranny are creeping up on 220K miles and its not going to last forever.

I will investigate this a little more. I was thinking of seeing about buying a 98+ frame or rolled over truck for parts and also a junk 82-92 ranger to fit the body. If all goes ok, then i can take my trucks body and interior and put it on the roller.... we will see, its at least getting a v8 if nothing else since this is something i have been wanting to do since 94.

LittleBigFoot

V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
79-00
Make / Model
Mostly Ford.
Engine Size
Building a 408w
Transmission
Automatic
Just don't make it onto the scarry steering web sight, and realize that lift with out a purpose only leads people to assume things....

HAPPY_RANGER_GUY

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
its going to be lifted just because i like lifted trucks. I know the IFS will cost more to list but so be it.
And that is good enough reason for me. Didn't intend to beat you up over it, just asking the questions. Good luck on your project, hope all goes well.

T.

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
That's what I get for typing while someone is talking to me.... TORCH!

As for the "superiority" of the '98 suspension? No, not really.

If OTOH I was building a stock height Ranger and planning to
put a 5.0 and an AWD Explorer T-case in it '98 all the way...

Other than that... NO!

AD

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals