• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

93 coil spring bolt

alexp11

09/2014 MTOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Trying to install dream beams on my 93. Taking off the old stuff right now. I don't have any wrenches this large, but it's pretty rusted anyway. I'm sure it's gonna strip or break. Anyone know what bolt I need to replace it? Would TSC have something this size? Thanks guys.

Andy D

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
The Rat
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
My credo
to prevent Found On the Road Dead, Fix Or Repair Daily
Wire brush the loose stuff off the threads and hit it penetrating oil such as PB Blaster. Then figure out what wrenches you need. May as well get them, you will need them for the install anyway. I would have no trouble re-using that bolt if I could get it off in one piece.

alexp11

09/2014 MTOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
after a lot of heat and strain this is what I found. I did not know there was another nut under the spring but I think it's safe to say this isn't coming out.

Andy D

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
The Rat
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
My credo
to prevent Found On the Road Dead, Fix Or Repair Daily
Ok , Next , I would split the nut with a hammer and a cold chisel. If you split the nut almost through. Then angle the chisel and peel the the nut off the bolt. I have a growing collection of hardware that was destroyed in order to fix the Rat. :D

alexp11

09/2014 MTOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Used a grinder to cut it off. Top of the radius arm is free but the bolt is still seized. Here where it's at now.
bolt underneath still looks the same

FritzTKatt

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
It's not a nut you cut off, it's welded to the stud so you can put the stud into the beam. You said you have new beams so you'll be fine. It's the same thread all the way, so match the cut-off with a new one. Might have to get a stud, put a nut on it, and weld the nut in place, then grind the weld down for clearance.

trail B2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It's a special bolt not a nut.If you heat the base with a propane torch it comes out better it has Lock Tight on it.A 11/8 wrench fits it.

alexp11

09/2014 MTOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
It's a pretty tough bolt. If it's special I imagine its an expensive dealer part. Whats typically used as a cheap replacement? Need the whole thing from the bottom of the ibeam into the spring.

Last edited:

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
The "stud-bolt" [my term] is locktighted in from the factory. I was able to remove mine by using a 4 foot piece of pipe over a 1/2" breaker bar and a deep 1 1/8" socket. Not all stud-bolts are the same size and some are different size and thread from one end to the other. Heat would help loosen the locktight. Get new stud-bolts from the junkyard if they are unavailable elsewhere or too expensive.
Good luck,

Richard

alexp11

09/2014 MTOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Both sides are apart now. Driver side was in much better shape and much easier. I did notice a large flat washer on top of the radius arm on the driver side I don't remember seeing in the passenger side. Did both sides have one? Are/is they/it needed with Djm beams?

alexp11

09/2014 MTOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Only bolts I've been able to find are grade 5 full thread. Opinions?

alexp11

09/2014 MTOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Also does someone have the torque specs for all front end bolts? Beams, springs sway bar and links. Calipers caliper brackets. Etc

alexp11

09/2014 MTOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Called lmc truck about part #40-0985. The lady said it was a 4wd part. So I asked for the 2wd variant. She asked someone and said drove doesn't matter. Now I know my bolts pass through the entire beam. From what I've read doesn't the 4wd use two separate fasteners due to the axle in the middle?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals