• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

'93 Ranger D35 TTB questions

BeefStew42791

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ok, to begin with, my 4wd hasn't worked from the getgo. I think either one or both of my hubs are junk because even when I jack the truck up, lock them in, and spin the front driveshaft niether front wheel will turn.

However, recently I had both of my front wheels & hubs off the truck when I was changing the front flexible brake lines. I noticed while the wheels were off, that the axle splines that make contact with the locked in hub have different lengths. On my driver's side shaft, it appears that the entire splined part of the shaft (about 2 inches) is visible past the outer locking axle washer. On my passenger's side shaft though, only about half an inch of the splined part of the shaft shows past the outer locking axle washer.:icon_confused::shok:
I can get pictures if they're absolutely necessary, but I'm relatively new to the technical details of 4wd systems and I've never torn into this particular part of the truck before. So I was wondering (and hoping) that somebody could tell me whether this is normal or if there's something screwed up in the guts of the ttb.
thankya muchly!

Ranger44

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
sounds like the c-clips and washers aren't on the end of that stub shaft.

As this would, or could cause 4x4 engagement problems, you may have much larger problem. When you turn the drive shaft by hand to the axle shafts coming off the front diff turn also? If so, your weak link is the hubs or the stub shaft splines not engaging the hubs.

Do you have auto or manual hubs. You can test the manual hubs off the vehicle by locking them in and trying to spin the inner splined part. If it turns free of the hub body, the hub isn't working properly. If it won't, the hub is working a.O.K.

Pictures will help.

feellnfroggy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
what he said, the both axles should be out about 2 inches with a splined washer and a c-clip on the end. if your missing a c clip then your shaft is recessing and not making contact. I have a 93 as well and went through many issues with tehse dang things. when one axle wont engage, even if the other is locked in it wont matter with an open diff. The axle not engaged will just turn faster.but not grab the wheel. Find a c clip and put it back on the end of that axleshaft and you should be good to go. Also you can use a pry bar on the back side of the knuckle to push the axle out far enough to get the c clip on.

The c clip goes on the outside of the splined washer.

BeefStew42791

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
alright cool, thanks guys, at least I have a heading.
I have manual hubs, and I hadn't heard of that test before. I like it though, I'll try it and get back to you along with some pictures.
I just have a few questions though to better prepare myself for when I can actually get into it. Where exactly (approximately) was the missing c clip supposed to go? I've heard of axles having them either closer to the pig, or by the spindle as well. And also where could I find a c clip? dealer, napa, autozone, jy?

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Washer (a.k.a. spacer) & c-clip go around the end of the shaft like here:

I would try at a dealer, junkyard or maybe LMC Truck for the parts.

feellnfroggy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
junkyard is the best places, there are tons of them on older exploders easy to remove and when you take them to the counter they dont really charge for them.

BeefStew42791

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
ok boys I finally made it up our 1/4 mile long driveway (curse the snow!!) to my spot so I could get the tire off. I took it and the hub off to get you guys a picture of the way things look. My driver's side looks exactly like the picture you put up junkie. Unfortunately this is what the passenger's side looks like..sorry about the grease.

any ideas?:dunno:

Hahnsb2

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Make / Model
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
any ideas?:dunno:
What they've been saying all along, the washer and c-clip are missing so the shaft migrated itself inwards and no longer engages the hub.

BeefStew42791

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
mkay, I'll drum up some clips then. or as ford calls them snap rings..I was very intrigued to find that out. anyway though, is it really as easy as prying/pulling/pushing/jiggling/wiggling the axle out far enough and popping the clip on?

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
Yup, get in behind the U joint at the knuckle and pry the shaft back out so you can see the groove in the end of the shaft that the clip rides in.

BeefStew42791

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
okay awesome, thanks guys!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals