• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

94 2.3 oil pump

dan1972

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
looks like its time for a oil pump replacement in my 2.3 94 ranger. i have done oil pump jobs on other vehicles but not a ranger. is it possible to do it without pulling the engine out? previously i have been able to get by without having to rent a engine hoist but not sure on this one.

XLTsplash

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
On my Dad's old 1989 Ranger 2.3L I was able to drop the pan down enough in the truck to replace the oil pump and the gasket. On my 1997 Ranger 2.3L I pulled the trans the get the oil pan out.

dan1972

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
On my Dad's old 1989 Ranger 2.3L I was able to drop the pan down enough in the truck to replace the oil pump and the gasket. On my 1997 Ranger 2.3L I pulled the trans the get the oil pan out.
dropping the trany isnt too big of a deal. thought i might have to seing as how 2 bellhousing bolts go into the back of the pan.

tomw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
lima bean
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
vertical and above ground
In most cases, the oil pump is not the cause of pressure problems. After all, it is the part of the lube system that is fed first, bathed in oil, and rotates rather than reciprocates.
Are you sure a pump will fix whatever problem you are having?

Removal is difficult without lifting the engine and in some cases lifting does not provide enough clearance.
tom

dan1972

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
In most cases, the oil pump is not the cause of pressure problems. After all, it is the part of the lube system that is fed first, bathed in oil, and rotates rather than reciprocates.
Are you sure a pump will fix whatever problem you are having?

Removal is difficult without lifting the engine and in some cases lifting does not provide enough clearance.
tom
well the guage started fluctuating about a week ago. when it happens the lifters clatter some.

XLTsplash

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Some of the older 2.3L Ranger's had a problem with the oil pan gasket falling apart and clogging the oil pick up tube. The pan on my 1997 was easy to remove with the trans and flywheel out of the way. I found my oil pickup screen to be clean in my 97. My Dads 89 was clogged with oil pan gasket material.
If your Ranger has a 5 speed it would be a good time to install a new clutch.

dan1972

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Some of the older 2.3L Ranger's had a problem with the oil pan gasket falling apart and clogging the oil pick up tube. The pan on my 1997 was easy to remove with the trans and flywheel out of the way. I found my oil pickup screen to be clean in my 97. My Dads 89 was clogged with oil pan gasket material.
If your Ranger has a 5 speed it would be a good time to install a new clutch.
clutch isnt very old. managed to get the trans out and the pan bolts today. tomorrow the flywheel/clutch. sill worried about clearing the oil pump though. its at the front of the block. might have to remove a engine mount and jack the engine up a bit for clearance.

tomw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
lima bean
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
vertical and above ground
When you remove the flywheel, make a couple scratch marks on it and the crank so you can be sure to put it back the way it came out. I don't think there are any balancing weight considerations, but 'just because' is a good enough reason to me.
I kinda still think the pump is going to be found good, I may be wrong, and I would obviously check the pickup screen before removing the pump. If you do replace the pump, take a look at the main and rod bearing inserts. You can just remove the individual caps, clean and dry the journal and bearing, and use some Plastigage to check the clearance in-vehicle. If the inserts look worn, for a few dollars you can replace with the proper size if they are marked .010 or .020, etc. You can also (well, could) buy slightly undersized inserts from FoMoCo to get the bearing clearance correct without grinding the crank. They would be in the .00010 and .00015 area of diameter smaller than factory. Using them, you can close up the gap if yours are a bit too loose. I don't think mains are available that way.
tom

XLTsplash

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
When you drop the pan down, you will have enough room to get you hand between the pan and the engine block to unbolt the pickup and pump. When you have the pickup and pump removed you will have the room need to get the pan out without a need to unbolt and lift the engine.

dan1972

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
well eventually got the pump in...and now have clutch issues! upon re assembly i cannot get the clutch to disengage. firm pedal but wont go into gear while running. truck pulls fine but i have to start it in gear! i think this means the input shaft is through the clutch plate. what else could it be? shaft not going into pilot bearing? i have it back apart and wonder how i could check this without having to re-assemble everything only to have to disassemble it again.
any ideas guys?

XLTsplash

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Remove the rubber inspection plug and look at the release bearing to see how it's moving when someone is pushing down the clutch pedal. If the problem is with the hydraulic release, you can buy a complete new bleed assembly that comes with slave, master, release bearing, line and reservoir. You just install it and go. No bleeding need.

DPDISXR4Ti

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
When you drop the pan down, you will have enough room to get you hand between the pan and the engine block to unbolt the pickup and pump. When you have the pickup and pump removed you will have the room need to get the pan out without a need to unbolt and lift the engine.
Bumping this old thread as I need to do a pump/pick-up/gasket job on my neighbor's '89 2.3 Ranger. So I'll actually be able to do this without using a hoist to hold the engine up? I do have one, so if it makes it easier I'll do it. But from what I've read I then need to drain the coolant and disconnect the radiator hose.

Rough idea on the number of hours to do the job?

Thanks...

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
You need to pull the trans to do it, it's doable without lifting the engine at all and I have done it before. Not knowing your skills, tools and how fast you work, I would budget at least a full day. I would guess that I could get it done in 4-6 hours but I work pretty quick and have done a lot of them.

DPDISXR4Ti

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
You need to pull the trans to do it, it's doable without lifting the engine at all and I have done it before. Not knowing your skills, tools and how fast you work, I would budget at least a full day. I would guess that I could get it done in 4-6 hours but I work pretty quick and have done a lot of them.
If you look at what he wrote, he did it without removing the transmission.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals