• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

94 Explorer - Clutch job

Kloque

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994, 1991
Make / Model
Ford, Suzuki
Transmission
Manual
Im having to change the clutch in our 94 Explorer and I just have a couple questions:

Does anyone know how to get the y-pipe unbolted?

And how do I disconnect the "tranny line"(?) The gold fitting that goes into the tranny near the top on the drivers side.

Also, we live in a smaller town and I was thinking of leaving my cats off, I would't be questioned or have to do an inspection at any time. Would this have any "bad" effects on the Explorer's performance?

Im already halfway through taking the tranny down, so any help would be appreciated.

Thank you. :icon_confused:

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
A) Removing the cats is illegal
B) it has no benefit on performance

I can tell you from objective experience that performance will suffer.

The clutch line connection? you see the while plastic "band" on the coupling?

While pushing in on the coupling push that white band IN (towards the trans)
And the connector will release.

That plastic band pushed metal barbs outwards and if you pull on the connector
when you are trying to disenggae it it'll fight you.

as for getting the exhaust down, it's just plain ugly.

Unless it has been out before there is a strong chance that one of the four flange bolts will break off when you try to get the Y-pipe off the manifolds.

Generally you are suppsed to remove the Cat then the Y-pipe to get the trans out.

I'll tell you right off the bat it's often easier to remove the radius arm crossmember.
it is both riveted and bolted to the frame, but having it off is a golden opportunity
to replace the radius arm bushings.

With the radius arm removed it's a hell of a lot easier to get the trans in and out.

AD

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
And be careful with the clutch hose--it's cheap plastic.

Buy a yellow MAPP torch. It gets hot enough to loosen bolts. Don't spare the heat.

Kloque

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994, 1991
Make / Model
Ford, Suzuki
Transmission
Manual
Sweet, thanks, I just cut the damn thing off, and bot some sleeves and some of that muffler repair putty.
I'll just put on the sleeves all stuffed with that crap and the clamp it really good and put some more putty and some muffler tape, I think it'll seal.

Wanna know something crazy? One of the exhaust flange bolts that I was torquing on and couldnt budge with a 1/2" socket wrench and a 15" pipe, fell out while I was sawzalling, lol. WTF is that?

Anyway, now.... I cant get the flywheel off. Tomarrow Im getting an electric impact wrench for it. Everyone says if I don't have it surfaced it will cause problems. My grandpa says hes done alot of clutches and never had one surfaced and they were all fine. But mine does have a groove worn into it...

My T-case is heavier than my tranny, I thought it would be heavy and had someone come help me to get it down, and I practically just grabbed that sucke by myself. lol, But the T-Case is pretty heavy.

Well, its getting there.... Woohoo for my first clutch job, lol.

tx3nc

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
:eek: I'd recommend against cobbing the exhaust back together like that. Either get the Y pipe properly welded or buy a new one.

countryboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
if u do resurface ur flywheel u need to shime it to give back the surface material that was lost. i ound this out the hardway. resurfacing the flywheel cost $30 here but i got a new flywheel for $60. if you do have ur flywheel surfaced be shure that the machine shop tells you how much material they removed frm the surface.

tx3nc

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
What do you have to shim?

I'm in the middle of a clutch replacement/trans overhaul now and when I found out the difference between surfacing the flywheel and a new one was 30 bucks, I said screw it and bought the new flywheel.

countryboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
you have to reshime the whole flywheel. u did the best decision to just but a new one.

Kloque

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994, 1991
Make / Model
Ford, Suzuki
Transmission
Manual
I cant get my clutch to release now!! I did get my flywheel resurfaced, and I never saw anything about shimming it, and napa didnt even tell me anything about that when they re-surfaced it. it, I was wondering if it should be flat or stepped, they made it flat.

Anyway's I bled that thing like crazy, I've done 2 bench bleeds, gravity bleeds, still no release.

Any ideas?

If it does need shimmed, should I shim the flywheel or the slave cylinder?
Also, they don't remember what they took off, and I'm too broke to buy another one, I've already spent all the money I had.

As for the exaust sleeves, it worked perfect, it looks clean, and has no leaks at all.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
Old post, I know...

I've -never- seen credible evidence of having to reshim a flywheel on an RBV. We had a discussion here once before about it, and the poster claiming the need in that case was entirely unable to back the theory up.

What you're more likely experiencing is air in the clutch release system. Tons of documentation around here on sorting that out.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals