• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

94 ranger miss/sputter nasty smelling exhaust

JSmith94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i have a 94 ranger with a 2.3 and i have a serious problem on my hands... the other day i was driving along and i pushed in the clutch to slow down and it started missing like crazy out of the blue if i leave my foot off the throttle when i start it it almost immediately dies this is a very serious miss. The exhaust also smells terrible, it'll almost burn your eyes out of your head. ive cleaned my MAF and put new plugs and wires on it and a new fuel filter, even changed the intake gaskets, which it did suck some of the gasket into the motor. lol. checked for vaccuum leaks, basically everything i can think of. BUT i did find a broken wire coming from the same strand of the harness that goes to the ICM. the side coming from the harness is black, then it goes into a single wire connector and on the other side of the connector its yellow. i have no idea where its suppose to go, theres no obvious place that i can see. im not exactly sure where i should start looking from here to cure this problem. im open to sugestions, im in serious need of some help. thanks guys!:bsflag:

chilsam

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
91 branger
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
300 six
Transmission
Automatic
???

No help yet ? Thats rare I've an 87 or I'd check but they're diff im sure.:dunno:

cmikee

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
The broken wire going to the ICM could be suspect. Get a wiring diagram and check it out. If that is not it then check for water in the oil, pressure building up in the coolant system, or steam coming from the tail pipe. Those would indicate a leak in the head or head gasket. Tell us what year the engine is too. I see that you have changed the engine.

Does it miss just during idle or during the whole driving process?

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Check for codes...it should be throwing a few by now...

And, for gosh sakes, you should never put your face right in front of an exhaust pipe...but you can usually tell by the smoke coming out, if any, if there is something amiss in the combustion process...sounds like you are burning something that shouldn't be burnt, but you will usually have a coloured smoke coming out...black means too rich, white is probably coolant or water, and clouds of gray smoke usually indicate oil...

Pull the codes if you haven't already...

JSmith94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Found 2 cracks in my upper intake plus all kinds of other wires broke, no codes either, did a KOER test and KOEO test, nothing at all. i did find another motor with 90k for $250. thats the route im going with it when the motor comes out tomorrow the harness will get buttoned up right:icon_welder:.. i do appreciate the help and suggestions though, guys. ill be back if i ever need anything else!

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
sounds like a bad fuel pressure regulator to me, pull the vacuum line going to the regulator and turn the key, if fuel comes out that's the problem

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals