• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

94 Ranger with 5 speed

zedx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have a 94 ranger with the 5 speed. the trans went out and I got a rebuilt one from a local guy. I had a shop put it in, they filled it with ATF against the advisement of the rebuilder. he wanted the shop to put 10w30 motor oil in it.

well, it went out again so I ended up getting a friend to help me get it out.

the guy stuck by his warranty and I am getting ready to put it back in but the rebuilder insisted that when I go back in to use a synthetic 10w30 in it. is this a good idea? should I use that or get a synthetic ATF? I know the book calls for ATF but with this guy insisting I use the other I am unsure which to use.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
do NOT put motor oil in that transmission. fords engineers designed the oiling system and seals to be compatible with ATF, which is why they specify it for that transmission. joe-bob isnt a ford tech. and obviously hasnt a clue what hes talking about....in fact if hes so insistant that you use the WRONG fluid in your transmission, i would probably avoid doing buisness with him in the future.

mjonesjr

I dance with the Devil...
Firefighter
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Mercron ATF is what Ford M50D's use for fluid. Do NOT run motor oil in them.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals