• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

95 2.3L Can you identify these parts, hoses, wires?

auto117584

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual

Can you help me identify these parts? I will tell you where to find them in your 95 2.3L truck. Open the hood, look along the driver's side of the engine bay, right along the edge where the hood shuts. Under that ledge there's a huge trunk of wires, neatly wrapped, that travels from the front driver's corner of the truck, back toward the driver. It passes to the outside of the battery, between the battery and the side of the truck. Got it? Right after this trunk of wires passes the battery, headed toward the rear of the truck now, there's a branch that comes out of it. the branch heads straight toward the engine. the branch itself branches into 3 sub-branches, all of which have electrical connectors at the ends. two of those connectors plug into connectors that are on this "thing" that I'm holding in the image above. the other connector may or may not plug into something at the bottom of the timing belt area. Do you recognize this stuff? Look at your branch, and the three sub-branches. Do they follow the wheel well, go down? Does one of the vacuum hoses hook into some kind of cannister under the headlight? Into a fitting under the cannister? Where does the other vacuum hose go, the one in my picture? Under the intake manifold? I think I have a loose fitting there, i mean, not occupied. Needs a hose on it.

In the picture, the light-colored thing next to my fingers is a cable tie-down thing. it is attached to the hose thing in the picture and it also has a thing so it can be taped to another bundle of wires or hoses, plus one it has one of those things that get forced through a hole to become attached. you can see what i'm talking about here:

Thanks for the help!

Last edited:

rrbrian222

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
It's funny, but your picture disappeared. It was there, then it was gone.

Anyway, you are looking at the evaporative emissions system. The critical components are charcoal canister and the parts that connect to it via vacuum hose are the Canister Purge Valve and the Canister Purge Solenoid. Each of these has an electrical connector. The vacuum line then travels to the port on the intake manifold.

The canister has two ports, one connects as described above, the other has a direct run of vacuum tube from it to the fuel vent line on the frame directly below the master cylinder.

My truck threw a code P0441 in spring, and I ended up replacing all of the vacuum lines with fuel-grade hose since the stock hoses deteriorated over time. I also removed the sensors and cleaned them with brake cleaner. Lots of black crap came out. Code went away and hasn't returned.

Hopes this helps.

auto117584

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Ah, thank you. Nice work. I had just come in to report that I found an open vacuum male on a canister, and here was your post. So the big end goes on the canister, and the small ends goes on the port on the intake manifold. that's great, thanks!

now, if you can tell me where I can find this port on the intake manifold, we'll be done almost.

where does the third sub-branch connector go? two of them go to the purge solenoid and the purge valve, but the third? it's dangling in my engine bay at the moment, looking for a home.

rrbrian222

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
In your first post you said you had an open fitting below the intake, that should be the one you need to connect the vacuum line to...

here's a quick ASCII schematic:

{Canister Large Port}-------{solenoid}--{purge}------------------------------{intake}

{Canister Small Port}-----------------------------------------{Fuel Vent Line}

The large port on the canister has a special L-shaped hose, larger on end, smaller on the other.

I don't know what the other connector is for....only thing that comes to mind is the power steering pressure switch. The connector for that is REAL close to those for the solenoid and purge sensors. Do you have power steering?

auto117584

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
In your first post you said you had an open fitting below the intake, that should be the one you need to connect the vacuum line to...

here's a quick ASCII schematic:

{Canister Large Port}-------{solenoid}--{purge}------------------------------{intake}

{Canister Small Port}-----------------------------------------{Fuel Vent Line}

The large port on the canister has a special L-shaped hose, larger on end, smaller on the other.

I don't know what the other connector is for....only thing that comes to mind is the power steering pressure switch. The connector for that is REAL close to those for the solenoid and purge sensors. Do you have power steering?
Power steering pressure switch... I seem to recall something there... now i can't see it... but now i know where to look!

there's another connector near where there could be a crankshaft position sensor. if i wasn't so lazy, i'd look it up in the book, but for now, i just want to find places for all the wires and hoses, and figure out what they do at another time. like a jigsaw puzzle. no thought required on tuesdays.

i'll have to figure out how the heck that vacuum hose will get to that fitting. i've tried twice already, and it seems that the hose is a little short. jigsaw puzzle.

auto117584

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
I DO have power steering, and I remember taking that sensor off. The connection was under the power steering fluid tank. But it's not there any more. I swear to god, it's been moved. I've looked with bright lights, a mirror, used my fingers... I'll go out again and try, right now, just to make sure.

auto117584

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
And this vacuum fitting???

I'll see if I can get a picture to show here. Do you know where this goes?

OK, I can't get a picture to appeare in my message, so I'll put the url's for them instead. Click on it to see it.

The metal tubing vacuum fitting:

http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/album.php?albumid=761&pictureid=4289

The link for the cable branching picture: This shows where the cable branches behind the battery. The red screwdriver handle is resting on it.

http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/album.php?albumid=761&pictureid=4287

The link for the third connector picture. The other two are connected in this picture, to the purge solenoid and purge valve. I simply cannot find where this third one connects. There is no connector that I can see anywhere, on the power steering reservoir and pump, on the fluid tubing and hose, or on the steering gear box. Anyway, this picture shows it pretty good, pulled up and around to show you, or whomever.

http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/album.php?albumid=761&pictureid=4288

I wonder if the pictures will show this time. This is the fourth time I've written this post, trying to get a way to see these pictures.

Last edited:

auto117584

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
ah it worked... click on the link, when ya get to the page, scroll down to the picture. these 3 pictures are the first 3 in my album, so you can click "next" at the top right of the picture to go to the next picture and the next.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals