• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

95 Taurus Steering Column Help

rockin86ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.0L,2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
The clockspring in my 95 Taurus went bad so instead of getting a new one for $250+ I went to the junkyard and got a used column for $40 (lucked out and they had one with the same horrible green interior I have so I got all trim parts too). The issue is that the ignition had been broken and when we pulled it we evidently did not get it locked entirely. I know the steering wheel has been turned but I don't know how far it has been turned which way. I was told that if you don't keep them lined up you are screwed, does anyone have any tips for atleast giving me a shot at getting it back right or should I just call it a lost cause and wait to get another one that we can lock properly?

I hate not having a horn and cruise on these long trips through big cities (Might just have to rig up an air horn for her) the cruise doesn't bother me a whole lot but it whould be nice to have (none of my other cars have it but they usually don't get drive on the 10hour trips). I also don't want to dump $250 into a new clockspring because this car is a 96 Taurus with 231,xxxmiles and a transmission that is going to need attention soon. It has a tendency to drop into "Neutral" at stops, it has been doing it for about 70,xxxmiles and is starting to get worse at times. I am probably going to pull it and rebuilt it but I need to save money to be able to do it.

Most people would say just to junk her (She went through a bad hail storm, has a destroyed fender from a dog, and has a 3.8L) But i love/hate it and want to see just how far I can drive it, I would like to hit 1million but I will settle for 500,xxx.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
With the clock spring out, or the old one in center the steering.

Then take the new spring and center it up. Turn it to until it isn't super easy, then go back the other direction and count. then go back half way and make sure all your marks are lined up.

rockin86ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.0L,2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
Will try this thanks, Never had any experience with a clockspring. I was thinking about trying something similar to this but wasn't sure about it.

Glad you chimed in I trust your advice. I would have had dad help me is a Ford Master Tech but he is 10hours away and I hate bothering him with crap like this.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
That's how Ford tells us to do it. Just watch the resistance on it as you turn it. They inside of it is a ribbon on a spool. The reason they get damaged if they turn too far is because the ribbon rips.

rockin86ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.0L,2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
Pulled the old one out and put the new one in this afternoon, Once I got the steering wheel off the used column I found instructions on how to re-center the clockspring on the sticker. I put it in, I have a horn again and the cruise control engages, but it still runsaway on its own when you try to set it. I am thinking it is the module under the hood since everything else seems to be working just fine, Oh well I am just glad I can honk at morons again. Thanks for confirmation.

rockin86ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.0L,2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
One more quick question, On a 95 will the air bag light reset with batter undone or does it need to be put on a computer to erase it. I don't have a scanner that does air bags on my car, I have one that will do some newer stuff in Louisiana

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals