• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

96 4" lift and freshened interior

96RedRanger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Okay wow i just noticed the dif between the first day pic and this... what a change.... now i need new tires !!!! i have 5 32's but im not sure thats big enough :eek: can i have tire size ideas? 33's????

96RedRanger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
okay thank you very much.

Sunk

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.5 Eco
Transmission
Automatic
Looks good... I'd recommend a drop pitman arm, or an extreme drop arm if you've already got one; that's quite the steering angle you've got there.

96RedRanger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I have one that came with the kit. I belive its 2 or 3 inches extended. So tonigt was a okay night.... i didnt get to start till about 5 but i still managed to get the trans and everything back in. I ended up needing to swap the gear selector switch

All i have left to do is put on the torque convertor bolts, starter, and drill and tap a manifold that i broke a bolt off in, put a new flange on the pipe that bolts up to the cat's, put on my brakes ( i got all the parts... $330), get a allinment, change and fill all fluids and get my arm rest re-covered lol.... It shouldnt be to bad. But all of that is counting on the truck starting and moving... Ill also have tag, title, and inspection costs. Plus i need bigger tires lol... overall its going very well. I have been geting alot done every night and geting yelled at for being "greasy". I had thought the trans would weigh the trucks suspention down some, however it moved about 1/16. the back is actualy 39" cmpared to the fronts 40". last night i had thought the back was 39.5 so i measured wrong or it is weighed down. Im thinking about shackels to make the back sit 1" higher than the front. Is shackel extention equal to the ammount of lift? it seems like it should be. Okay enough ranting here are some pics.

Still at 40" not a nessesary pic.. but o well

Doin work! O and im 6'1" so it sits nicely...

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
I have one that came with the kit. I belive its 2 or 3 inches extended. .
Drive it when you get it all back together, see how the steering feels. If it seems weird, the extra drop pitman arm Skyjacker sells should help. For many, the regular arm that comes with the kit is fine.

Nice progress thread. Should be real nice when you get it back on the road. :icon_thumby:

Oh BTW, shackles lift it roughly half of what the shackle is longer than stock (in other words, a 3" longer shackle will lift it around 1.5").

PaleBlue90

Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
2.3,2.9 and 4.0
Transmission
Manual
im really likeing that lift, ditch the stacked blocks, i think its a dumb way to lift something. i really wish i had a warm place to work like that lol

96RedRanger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks all. I am planning on geting ( or trying to get) it moving tonight. hopefully it works lol. I just need my fluid for the trans and motor. my dad is geting that as i type and i need to button up some stuff that wont take to long, so ill know by tonight. if it doesnt move iim going to have the old trans rebuilt and cry a little. hopefully al is well tho. If it moves ill do brakes, get my allingment and be on the road again.

I dont like the stacked block as well. Im thinking about running it for a little while to gather parts for a better lift. Probably 63" chevy leafs and shackels if they are needed. The stacked block doesnt look safe lol... and the benefits of the 63" leaf with flex are good.

And thanks for the info on shackel lift. I wold need to add about 4" to gain the 2" that i want it to be raised up.

Also i would def reccomend the f-150 coil seat to anyone who is lifting, doing spring changes. you get lift and it makes putting that sumb bolt on with a wrench faster... what more could you want.

And thanks for saying you life the lift. I love it! people say that they have problems lining stuff of on cheeper lifts but this was flawless.... either i got lucky or im just a tank..

Sorry if any of this is reppetitive... i usualy post at like 1 in the morning so i dont remember what i said lol

I also need to do my steering stabiliser!!!

Last edited:

Ranger44

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
Great thread btw,

A steering stabilizer is really just a band-aid. If you steering is aligned properly (which the dropped pitman arm should help) it will be fine.

I bet it's nice to have a shop to work in.:icon_thumby:

Keep up the progress.

96RedRanger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
The ranger drives, 4wd works, trans is great!

Okay well tonight was a very exciting night. I bolted up my tourque convertor, got my starter on, gheto bolted up my exhaust( i still need to fix my broken manifold bolt and rusted away flange), put in oil and trans fluid and it started rite up!!!! It runs great, however it has old gas so it stalled one time idiling. it needs allined really bad but all works. WE drove on the roas illegally and the trans works great. It has 4 speeds and everything is good. This is proof that a 5r55e bolts rite up to a 4r55e and works great. All i needed to do was swap the neutral safety switch. but everything else is perfect. Here are the pics!!!

And i have 2 videos but i dont know how to upload them....

96RedRanger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
will my bfg 32's make a diffference? i think these 31's arent true 31's and they look relly small..... ill measure tomm... but i need bigger tires it loks funny.... and it buggs me

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Your 32's are probably wider. 31's are not really far off from the stock size and once they are worn down it's weird how small they look.

96RedRanger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
good idea!!!! so guess what i did?????stuffed one on there!!. i mounted it by hand so it took like 2 hours lol....and i got my rear brakes done tonight. easy as pie. they still need adjusted and blead. the front would be done however i need a special tool to remove the locking hub. ive never worked on a 4wd front before so i was like... where is the nut???. I did a gear ration calcultation and with the 35"s i would actualy have 3.28 gears.... thats not bad at all. now that is having my 29 actualy 29 and my 35's as 33.5's.... are factory tires actualy 29????? i wish i knew.... and my 31's are actualy 29.5 but the truck has plenty of gearing for them.. if its reallllllly bad with the 35's ill get 4.56's after a little while of driving. ill need to save money. im goin to get my other 2 35's ( $100 on craigslist) tommorow. Ill have a set of 5 :) i mounded that one on my spare rim so im golden. this will be a beauty. Im going to have to remove my sway bar however. O and i have no idea whay people complain about 12.5's on 7" rims..... its ont bad at allllllll its the only place where my tire hits. how bad does that make handling? enough typing... pics

First thought about it.... tried without tire

Set low in hole to hopefully be close.....

The 35's only being 33.5......:icon_confused: its alos on a 7" rim at 35(the reccomended) psi

Better pic. the cammera is slanted not the tape...

29.5 inch 31's:dunno::dunno:

Are all tires actualy 1.5" smaller than they say? and if so are gear calculators and stuff on trs correct or using improper diameter??? im so confused... im sure others have found this..

35.... uh o!

looks nice :icon_thumby:

some clearance photos:

I think ill ttrim the pointy corner of the bumper plastic so it follows the curve of the bumper and then take the swaybar off and call it a day..

Last edited:

96RedRanger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Well tonight i finally got my front brakes done. I had to ge the proper auto hub socket from salvos for $17. besides that it is really easy. Also the pin that people play with using magnents is designed to br driven in towards the truck. you feel when it loosens up and then the nut comes off. i probably could have done this without the proper socket if i had knows this. it was very loose when the retainer is out. everything got washed in tha parts washer and re-greassed. i need to bleed my brakes, and put on a horn, get allinemnt, and its reasy for inspection

Another thing. I got online insurance quotes tonight. I have 1 point, and got liability only at the lowest prices for everything. The cheepest i ogt was 298. thats alot of $ and it makes me mad. Im 17, male, and have a point ut isnt that a little redic? i mean its a paid off 4.0 truck.... lame..

I would also like to know what will happen when i take my sway bar off. Better flex? bad handling? i had it off but put it back for inspection.

thanks

CS

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals