• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

96 ranger auto to manual tranny swap and steering/axle problem

J.mar123

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
Hi my name is Jay just had two questions I was looking for help with one is. I have a 93 ford ranger supercab 4x4 , 4.0L manual that someone recently totaled. Then I bought a 96 ford ranger xlt 4x4 , 4.0L Automatic. The only main diffs I know of are interior changes. Anyway I hate the automatic crap and is starting to slip and want to do a auto to manual swap with the two trucks. Does this sound doable , I know most the steps am mechanically inclined was mechanic for few years but never did a swap ,but know some ppl who have. As far as I know I don’t need two switch computers right? Well any info or steps involved would be appreciated thanks. Next question is the 96 ranger I bought unfortunately I dodged a deer the other night and went into some tall grass which was hiding a pole and rock. The front steering assembly all got tweaked the steering box stem twisted and cracked and is about to brake completely off. Had to bend some steering parts back with comalong to make decent drivable., but still not sure what else is bent and something bent is killing my wheel bearings and threw chamber way out whack on one tire and maybe lil on other. What would be bent that is throwing my chamber so far out and destroying wheel bearings ? Its not something I can easily notice cause I been checking for bent parts. Well let me know what u think I was probably going to replace all steering components and axles,diff, and radius arms with a donor truck but cant use my 93 ranger not sure what is even good on that it got ruined when totaled. What kind and year ranger or explorer can I use for all the donor front end stuff . Once I fix this damn prob I can continue with the tranny swap. Any help would be very appreciated thank you Jay. u can also email me at j.mar123@yahoo.com thank u

Clem

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2002 Ranger XLT
Make / Model
1986 Bronco II,
Engine Size
Ranger-4.0 B2-2.9
Transmission
Manual
Any RBV to 96 I think will fix your problem. As a suggestion, park your truck that has the front end problem on a flat level floor and measure from the bottom of the frame to the floor on both sides at about the same point on both rails in front of the steering box and see if you tweaked the frame
You will want to swap the computers, the 96 is going to look for something that the auto has and the manual doesn't have, torque converter, I believe. Anyway, they tell me it will work just fine with the automatics computer till you try to drive it.
I don't like autos either, so all I can pass on is what I have read.

Ray

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
Hate to give you bad news, but your dealing with apples and oranges, kind of. The parts are interchangeable, mechanically, but not electronically. In 95 Ford went OBD II, which is more advanced than the EEC IV. You will need a 95-97 computer that had manual trans, your 93 will not run the 96 truck. You can use the auto computer, but it will throw codes left and right looking for the trans shift solenoids and torque converter lockup solenoids. You can use the manual trans, clutch pedal assy, and hydraulic clutch system will also swap.
As far as your bent items, You might have bent the beams' pivot mounts, throwing off your alignment, causing off camber/castor issues as well as premature wheel bearing failure. I would highly recommend bring your truck to a frame shop, as you might have bent the frame as well. It is possible to bend the frame far enough that it affects suspension parts but not be visible to the eye or the tape measure. It's possible your beams are bent as well...
In 95 Ford also changed the braking system on the front of rangers. Ford went to dual piston calipers, which is a different design from the spindle out, so be informed if you use 93 donor parts on your 96. Let us know what you find:icon_thumby:
SVT

Last edited:

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
1993 Vs 1996 Ranger 4x4.

Steering linkage all the same

Steering box the same.

Axle shafts all the same.

"Spindles" (tube axle) the same presuming ABS on both
(ABS spindles will fit non ABS truck, but not Vice Versa)

Axle Beams, Steering knuckles Brake rotors, calipers, calipers brackets and
brake lines all different

Enjoy...

AD

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
The auto trans computer will also have a less aggressive program to keep from beating up the tranny during shifts. Theoretically it will run and drive, but it's gonna be a dog.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals