• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

'97 charge system problem

WJC97

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
My 97 2.3 supercab quit charging last Wednesday. Unfortunately I was 20+ miles from home when the battery light lit and the voltmeter needle dropped (BTW do these trucks have real volmeters, or crappy on/off switches like the oil pressure gauge). Didn't make it home, and the flatbed tow was $120. :bawling:

After checking fuses and the A terminal (battery) fusible link, I made a bad guess in replacing the voltage regulator and brushes to the tune of $50. Nope. Took the old alternator to Advance, and the diode pack was gone. OK, that explains why it went suddenly.

Bought the new Remy for $180, and damned if it still isn't charging. Low gauge, battery light is on. Connections are clean and tight, plugs aren't corroded or burned, I'm running out of ideas. I did not check the I and S circuits. I guess I need to. Is there some common charging problem on these things I'm overlooking?

R***A**N**G**E***R

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My 97 2.3 supercab quit charging last Wednesday. Unfortunately I was 20+ miles from home when the battery light lit and the voltmeter needle dropped (BTW do these trucks have real volmeters, or crappy on/off switches like the oil pressure gauge). Didn't make it home, and the flatbed tow was $120. :bawling:

After checking fuses and the A terminal (battery) fusible link, I made a bad guess in replacing the voltage regulator and brushes to the tune of $50. Nope. Took the old alternator to Advance, and the diode pack was gone. OK, that explains why it went suddenly.

Bought the new Remy for $180, and damned if it still isn't charging. Low gauge, battery light is on. Connections are clean and tight, plugs aren't corroded or burned, I'm running out of ideas. I did not check the I and S circuits. I guess I need to. Is there some common charging problem on these things I'm overlooking?
Depending on the condition of your battery BEFORE the alt went out you might of toasted the battery, theoretically you can drive your truck for so long on just BATTERY juice before your truck will completely quit ( depends on what all accessories you are using) anyways, check to make sure your battery is not shot and there is the possibility of a bad alt right out of the box.

If your battery is good and just run completely down because of lack of an alt charging it, it SHOULD charge back up over time assuming the new alt is good.

If you haven't already done this to TEST your new alternator, start the truck THEN disconnect the battery IF the truck dies your alternator is not functioning properly.

Last edited:

WJC97

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I recharged the battery fully. An alternator should never be relied upon to charge a dead battery. And NEVER yank the battery cables from a running modern vehicle. Any number of electronics can be damaged.

Thanks for the awful advice.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
start the truck THEN disconnect the battery IF the truck dies your alternator is not functioning properly.
DON'T DO THAT!!!

It used to be a common test of the atlernator. Now its not such a good idea.
It can damage modules, namely the PCM. A much safer test is to put a meter on the battery terminals while its running. 13 to 14 V should be normal for your conditions. Anything less than 12.5 and its discharging, anything more than 14.5 and the light is on because its OVERcharging and probably has a bad regulator.

R***A**N**G**E***R

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
i recharged the battery fully. An alternator should never be relied upon to charge a dead battery. And never yank the battery cables from a running modern vehicle. Any number of electronics can be damaged.

Thanks for the awful advice.
you have an old vehicle, it's not new or modern!!!!! Lmao, it is a perfectly fine test.

Do you consider a 13 year old truck NEW??????????

R***A**N**G**E***R

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
don't do that!!!

It can damage modules, namely the pcm. A much safer test is to put a meter on the battery terminals while its running. 13 to 14 v should be normal for your conditions. Anything less than 12.5 and its discharging, anything more than 14.5 and the light is on because its overcharging and probably has a bad regulator.
we are talking about a 13 year old truck ( duh )

TheTopher

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The switched over to PCM engine control in '95 with the OBDII switch. Even my fifteen year old truck could get damaged by that.

R***A**N**G**E***R

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
The switched over to PCM engine control in '95 with the OBDII switch. Even my fifteen year old truck could get damaged by that.
Prove it or shut up.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Prove it or shut up.
He's right. Basically you don't want to do that to anything with electronic fuel injection but its worse on post 95 vehicles with the OBDII system since there are more modules to fry. And since my truck is 23 years old and still going strong, yes I do consider a 97 to be "new"

dennis461

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Jeep
Engine Size
3.0l
Transmission
Automatic
I vote no on this one

Prove it or shut up.
Try it on your rig first :icon_thumby:

A real simple test is to see how bright the headlights are with engine running, then shut off engine with lights on.
It should be easy to spot a difference if the alternator is working.

Is the Remy an internal voltage regulator ?
Your original had the regulator internal with the brushes, correct?

Last edited:

R***A**N**G**E***R

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Try it on your rig first :icon_thumby:

A real simple test is to see how bright the headlights are with engine running, then shut off engine with lights on.
It should be easy to spot a difference if the alternator is working.
My wifes 97 Taurus had a bad alternator 3 months ago and that is how i tested it:icon_thumby:

Bob Ayers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
DON'T DO THAT!!!

It can damage modules, namely the PCM. A much safer test is to put a meter on the battery terminals while its running. 13 to 14 V should be normal for your conditions. Anything less than 12.5 and its discharging, anything more than 14.5 and the light is on because its OVERcharging and probably has a bad regulator.

+1 .............Very stupid suggestion to remove a battery cable while the engine is running!! The di/dt can create huge voltage splikes.

Last edited:

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
My wifes 97 Taurus had a bad alternator 3 months ago and that is how i tested it:icon_thumby:

and you got lucky. They also tell you to unhook the battery before unplugging/plugging in the PCM. Just because it doesn't always fry it when you don't, doesn't mean the chance isn't there. You keep doing it that way. One of these days you'll buy an alternator and a PCM.

R***A**N**G**E***R

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
and you got lucky. They also tell you to unhook the battery before unplugging/plugging in the PCM. Just because it doesn't always fry it when you don't, doesn't mean the chance isn't there. You keep doing it that way. One of these days you'll buy an alternator and a PCM.
Luck has nothing to do with it.

R***A**N**G**E***R

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
+1 .............Very stupid suggestion to remove a battery cable while the engine is running!! The di/dt can create huge voltage splikes.
Not stupid at all.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals