• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

97 Ranger 2WD Tranny blown??

sfwjesse

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My dad got a 97 ranger with 127k on it, 5 spd, 4 cyl, 2wd, for 200 bucks. The guy said his mechanic said the throwout bearing was junk. My dad just pulled the tranny and I think it is junk. Maybe someone like AlanD could confirm this for me. Here are the clues:

1) Fluid in the bell housing, does not appear to be break fluid. The gasket for the cover the end shaft comes out of is leaking. When he drained the tranny, only about 1 qt. of fluid was in there.

2) Whining noise when clutch is engaged. Goes away when disengaged

3) a small clip that resembles the shape of the copper colored staples they use in cardboard boxes was stuck to the magnetic drain plug

4) The previous owner said one time it popped out of 4th gear while driving, and he had to hold it in to get home

5) The slave cylinder plastic was somewhat melted to the aluminum behind it

6) end shaft has about 1/16" inch of play (not good but dont they all?)

So, my theory is it ran out of fluid and is burnt up. I think whatever got damaged is beyond the skills of a couple backyard mechanics, so i am now looking for a used one. Am i correct in assuming this thing is junk?

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
Pull the top cover off and look...

The ENTIRE shift mechanism simply comes off exposing
everything the trans has got by removing the top cover bolts.

IF it really "burned" it'll be fairly obvious.

Examining a "Dead" trans without taking the top cover is like not Turning over the river card in a game of texas hold-em.

AD

Last edited:

thegoat4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
When you get that cover off, look at the gear all the way at the front. It's the drive gear for the countershaft and will be the first to go when the transmission is run low on oil.

Also, look at the tip of the input shaft. That little nipple sticking out of the end is the pilot and fits into the pilot bearing to hold the shaft centered. The circumference of the pilot should be smooth. If it's rough or discolored, pull the clutch off and see if the pilot bearing is shot. You may even have a broken clutch disc. If the pilot is badly damaged, you'll need to replace the input shaft. At that point it may very well be better to just go find another tranny.

Actually, you should pull the clutch anyway while the transmission is out and see if the PO burned it up. It's likely given that the slave was partially melted. If the clutch is bluish anywhere that's a sure sign it's been burned up.

See what you can do about posting a picture of that "clip" you found on the magnet. Sounds like it may be a latch out of a synchro.

Lookie First pic, part #132 Not the same transmission, but similar enough for looking at.

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
I don't automatically discard an input shaft with a galled
pilot snout

I have been known to use a bronze bushing instead of that silly stupid roller pilot bearing that seems purpose designed to screw up the shaft...

AD

sfwjesse

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
He had already pulled the clutch and that was all good. I will get a pic of the clip and have him pop the top and take a pic of that too.

2 questions

1) Aland will that cover come right off without screwing anything up? I have no aspirations to be a tranny rebuild guy, so if taking that cover off involves anything more then unbolting the bolts and pulling upwards I am nervous to do it.

2) Someone on these forums is selling a 5spd from a 94 2.3 L 2wd ranger. According to the tech article this is the same trans. Will it bolt right up and plug in or are there differences in the wiring?

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
The cover is tight on two dowel pins so prying will be involved
but no you won't screw anything up by taking it off.

AD

He had already pulled the clutch and that was all good. I will get a pic of the clip and have him pop the top and take a pic of that too.

2 questions

1) Aland will that cover come right off without screwing anything up? I have no aspirations to be a tranny rebuild guy, so if taking that cover off involves anything more then unbolting the bolts and pulling upwards I am nervous to do it.

2) Someone on these forums is selling a 5spd from a 94 2.3 L 2wd ranger. According to the tech article this is the same trans. Will it bolt right up and plug in or are there differences in the wiring?

thegoat4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I don't automatically discard an input shaft with a galled
pilot snout

I have been known to use a bronze bushing instead of that silly stupid roller pilot bearing that seems purpose designed to screw up the shaft...

AD
I don't either, but the OP seems like he would prefer that course.

Do you happen to have a part number for that bushing? I went looking last time I was in there and didn't find one before I wanted my truck back.

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
The last one I had was inadvertantly left in a cracked 2.9 flywheel

The bushing I used replaced the roller bearing AND the spacer
bushing it is pressed into...

It was a Dorman P/N but the auto parts I used to get my Dorman stuff
for went out of buisness last summer...

AD

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals