• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

98 parking brake cable replacement?

Cold Dark Shadow

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Manual
got 98 that needs parking brake cables replaced (bought it with out any, well hardly any)

wheres the best/cheapest place i csn pick some new ones up and how hard is it to install them?
thanks

bilzy7

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
There are so many posts about brake lines and rotors/drums. Nothing, on brake lines for parking brake besides a post reply to someone saying use wheel blocks behind tire. obviously... ughhh i was hoping for a write up or something but as every post ive found like this one, it dead-ends after the question is asked. well, i got the lines and i believe 4x4 off road from 1999 is a not heavy duty suspension? then again im like off road model... maybe it is. i just cant picture a ford ranger needing a heavy duty suspension from factory. its a light truck. idk, but idc if anyone hates me for bringing this subject back alive, ive searched and cant find an answer on this and im gonna hafta bring it to a shop. Im gonna go to one that will let me photo what they do hopefully, and people can just guess off of photos lol. unless someone knows of a write up somewhere?

YZ250Rider23

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It's a little tricky installing them. I've replaced all the lines on my 98 2 times now (I'll explain why in a moment). My cables, although seized and broken were still in place, so I knew exactly where they needed to be routed. Now I dunno if you know if the weird self adjusting parking brake pedal assembly, but first and formost this needs to be locked in place. After you take off the panel over the brake you'll find a small oval shaped hole in the sheet metal of the brake. You have to pull the cable coming from the front till it stops (I think wrapped mine around a chunk of wood and pulled hard, since the front cable was quite seized). Having a helper would be good. Have your assistant stick a small screw drive/ allen wrench into the hole and it will prevent the brake from retracting. Don't use a drill bit... It'll snap em like twigs, ask me how I know. If your front cable is totally seized then skip this step and we'll handle it later.

I cut the rear cables free, disassembled the drum brakes and freed the ends of the cables in there. Then I spend a few minutes studying the routing, so I could remember when it went back together. Pulled the old ones free and routed in the new ones and reassembled the drums. I reused my intermediate cable and the little connectors. It's tricky getting them apart. Have someone else hold the connectors with a pair of vise-grips (don't squish your connector though!) and tap the barrels free with a punch and hammer.

Now the front...
She's a bitch.
I had to remove the mud flap and flap mounting bracket, then the inner wheel weel splash shield at least half way, so you can see where the cable goes up into the truck. Now get up under your dash and get comfy... Unbolt the brake release handle, now find your bolts holding the brake assembly in place. IIRC there was 3 10mm bolts and they weren't exactly easy to get to. Get those little bastards out and unplug the pedal position sensor connector. At this point your pedal assembly should be loose, and you'll have to lift and rotate to get the cable up and into the cab.

Now if the self adjuster I mentioned was already locked down then you can skip this, but if it is seized then you'll still need to do that, otherwise when you cut the line the adjuster will spin a bunch and lose all it's tension, and it'd be a bitch to get retension it. Now there's some different methods you can use to pull the cable. Grab it with a pair of pliers and twist a couple times was the method I used. All you want to do is get the cable pulled out of the brake pedal assembly enough to get it locked with an allen wrench through the locking hole like I previously mentioned. Once it's locked down, cut the cable and remove it. The front barrel will be a little tricky to fish out.

Now put it all back together. Clip in the new cable and route the cable end into the brake, again this will be tricky... from here just reassmble the same way to took it apart. Connect your cables underneath and pull the lock pin out of the brake and it should suck up the slack and make the line tight. Cross your fingers, you should now have a working parking brake!

Now I'm going to tell you how to avoid doing it twice... and this part is easy. DO NOT BUY AFTERMARKET CABLES! I made the mistake of buying Raybestos cables and they fell apart in matter of less than a month. The retailer and Raybestos both told me to pound sand. I got my Motorcraft replacement cables from Varsityfordparts.com. They have good prices.

Post back up here or PM me if you have any questions, and good luck!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals