• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

98 ranger hub issues HELP PLEASE!!

dirtracer81_2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ok I have a 1998 ranger with the junky vacuum hub junk. I replaced the o rings where the 4x4 hub slides onto the hub. My driverside hub is locking in but only for about 30 second then its releasing. I kept it in 4wheel and jacked it up and the wheel will stay locked until about 30 seconds then it turns freely. What can be my issue its only one side the other side is staying locked. Ive been thinking about following some instructions how to convert them so they stay locked all the time. Any help would be greatly appreciated.:icon_thumby:

BeaterMan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8, 4.6, 5.0
Transmission
Manual

jpaxson

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I had the same problem with my 98 Ranger. I followed the instructions (after researching options) to permanently lock the hubs. It was easy to do and cost nothing. It took about 45 minutes to get the job done. So far it has worked great. I have not seen any decrease in fuel consumption and the electronic 4wd high/low switch works right every time. The instructions are on this website.

alfredo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
have ford ranger 1998 4x4 2 whl abs (back) need to change the hub assembly what is the process thks

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals