• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

99 3.0 rebuild or swap?

adfav1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
last night leaving work i had no oil pressure.i shut it off and turned the key again to check if the guage moved before starting and it did not.i restarted it and again no pressure.it ran for maybe 15 seconds and now i have a knock.the oil is clean and full so it looks like i have a internal problem.it has almost 160,000 on it so i think i am just going to replace it.i can probably get a 3.0 out of a taurus i think a 98,low miledge does anyone know if it will swap right out.i guess my other option is to rebuild.any suggestions.thanks

mojoranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I got an engine out of a 2005 taurus with 25,000 miles on it for $300 and put in my 99. I changed the head gaskets to the ones for the ranger and used the rangers intake and exhaust. I also had to get a new water pump since the one on the taurus is shorter. Other than that it was a direct bolt in. Its alot easier to find a good taurus engine than a ranger. Hope this helps.

Mike

adfav1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
problem found

thanks, i might go with a used motor.i found the problem.the cam sensor on the rear of the intake has a shaft with a gear on it that drives the oil pump and the gear was stripped.i might try replacing and hope the motor survived without oil for a couple of minutes.if it does not help at least i will have a new one to put in a replacement motor.

NoName

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
thanks, i might go with a used motor.i found the problem.the cam sensor on the rear of the intake has a shaft with a gear on it that drives the oil pump and the gear was stripped.i might try replacing and hope the motor survived without oil for a couple of minutes.if it does not help at least i will have a new one to put in a replacement motor.
You might get lucky. The engine will probably have oil pressure issues afterwards, that's usually the case with the Taurus. Was it tapping like it was being starved of oil, or can you hear actual rod knock? Engine is probably damaged internally, either way.

If you change the engine, it's a good idea to put a new Camshaft Synchronizer in the replacement engine, obviously.

adfav1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
it was a knock from the top of the engine,sounded like lifters.i will post a reply after i find a tool to line up the synchronizer and install it.

adfav1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
just my luck

well i got the synchronizer in without a tool following posts on how to install.started right up but knock is still there sounds like lifters.with the miledge i have i am going to look for a used or maybe a reman since i plan on keeping the truck a while.

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
If you plan on keeping the truck for a while why not upgrade the 3.slo to a 4.go ??
SVT

NoName

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
well i got the synchronizer in without a tool following posts on how to install.started right up but knock is still there sounds like lifters.with the miledge i have i am going to look for a used or maybe a reman since i plan on keeping the truck a while.
Drive her till she pops and start tracking down a 4.0. :icon_cheers:

Last edited:

joecool85

Reaction score
If you plan on keeping the truck for a while why not upgrade the 3.slo to a 4.go ??
SVT
Gas mileage I would assume. Thats why I like my 3.0 engine. Nothing like 20mpg average in a 4wd supercab truck with a V6 (even if it is "slow").

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
My cousin's ex had a 96 explorer 4x4 getting 22mpg....20+mpg's are not impossible with the 4.0L :icon_thumby:
SVT

joecool85

Reaction score
My cousin's ex had a 96 explorer 4x4 getting 22mpg....20+mpg's are not impossible with the 4.0L :icon_thumby:
SVT
22mpg average or highway? Also, Explorers have a much lower drag coefficient than the Ranger - being a pickup truck that's kind of a given. And lastly, what size tires and gears? I'm running 245/75/16 (31" tall) with 4.10 gears - not normally something you would call fuel efficient, yet I still get 20mpg average (on back roads etc). I get 22 highway and don't know for city really since I don't drive through one very often.

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
Stock gears, stock tires. And the ranger may be less coefficient, but its heavier. It's averaged, mostly highway mileage, as we live out in the country...
SVT

joecool85

Reaction score
Stock gears, stock tires. And the ranger may be less coefficient, but its heavier. It's averaged, mostly highway mileage, as we live out in the country...
SVT
Stock tires are a 235/75/15 for a 2000 Explorer 4wd. 29" tall, that's a LOT less rotating mass. Not sure what stock gears are, but I'd imagine something in the mid 3's which is better for mpg but not as good for towing/offroading etc.

All I know is that when I have talked to others here in Maine that have an almost identical ranger to mine, just with the 4.0, they are getting 18mpg or so. 2mpg less than me. Doesn't sound like much, but when you are driving 20,000 miles a year it adds up. At 20mpg that is 1,000 gallons of gas. At 18mpg it is 1,111. That's over $300 in extra gas. Add to that the fact that I don't need more power than the 3.0 has to give and I'm all set with keeping it indefinitely. I'm sure others disagree, but I love my little 3.0.

Big Jim M

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
gears

Stock tires are a 235/75/15 for a 2000 Explorer 4wd. 29" tall, that's a LOT less rotating mass. Not sure what stock gears are, but I'd imagine something in the mid 3's which is better for mpg but not as good for towing/offroading etc.

All I know is that when I have talked to others here in Maine that have an almost identical ranger to mine, just with the 4.0, they are getting 18mpg or so. 2mpg less than me. Doesn't sound like much, but when you are driving 20,000 miles a year it adds up. At 20mpg that is 1,000 gallons of gas. At 18mpg it is 1,111. That's over $300 in extra gas. Add to that the fact that I don't need more power than the 3.0 has to give and I'm all set with keeping it indefinitely. I'm sure others disagree, but I love my little 3.0.
Your gear ratio is POSTED on the drivers door post.. READ IT and post it here someone will tell you zackly what your gear ratio is..
Big JIm:hottubfun::wub:

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
I wasn't trying to talk you out of another 3.0, I was really just asking your opinion on what you thought about it. Each to his own :icon_thumby:
SVT

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals