• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

'99 Ranger front calipers. . .going bad???

atomicjoe23

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I have just aquired a '99 Ranger 4x4 (extended cab, 4.0 V6/manual tranny) and I just put new tires on it. . .I've been driving it with the new tires for about 2 weeks now and this morning when I left the house I noticed that the engine seemed to be bogging down, the brakes felt different than normal, and I had to stay on the gas more to stay at speed. . .

. . .when I got where I was going I checked the front and rear brakes to see if either of them were hot. The fronts were a little warm, but not hot. . .so I wasn't sure what was up.

Now that I'm home I jacked the truck up, removed the front wheel and see that the pad is squeezing against the caliper. . .I pulled the caliper (the pads are practically new) and pressed the pad back into the caliper so that the front wheel freely rotates again.

My question is. . .when the calipers on a Ranger fail do they act like a check valve and prevent the pad from retracting back into the caliper when the pedal is realeased???

I have a '94 Jeep Wrangler and when the calipers go bad on the Wranglers that is what happens. . .it's happened to me once and when they failed, the FAILED. . .nearly locked the brakes up and man they got HOT!!! trashed a new set of pads and I had to bleed all of the old fluid out of the system because it boiled the fluid in the MC. . .

. . .anyway, wondering if maybe the MC was just a little too full to allow room for the fluid to return to the MC (it was a little fuller than I would have filled it when I checked, I sucked a little brake fluid out so there would be room for fluid without overflow when I pressed the pad back into the caliper) or if the calipers are going bad?

Thanks for the help!

atomicjoe23

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Just finished checking the driver side and it was dragging too. . .not as bad, but I still had to work to get the caliper/pad off of the rotor. . .pressed the pad back into the caliper and I will see if it fixes the problem if it comes back. . .if it comes back I guess I'm buying new calipers.

atomicjoe23

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
No help on this one. . .surely one of you guys have experienced and know if this is an indicator of the calipers going bad. . .there are ~140,000 miles on the truck if that helps at all.

. . .I think it is they were good for about 12 miles into work today and then they started to drag again. . .thinking I'm gonna be picking up new calipers on the way home, hopefully it isn't a waste of money

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
No help on this one. . .surely one of you guys have experienced and know if this is an indicator of the calipers going bad. . .there are ~140,000 miles on the truck if that helps at all.

. . .I think it is they were good for about 12 miles into work today and then they started to drag again. . .thinking I'm gonna be picking up new calipers on the way home, hopefully it isn't a waste of money
did you pull the pins and clean and lube them?

atomicjoe23

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I'm gonna do that tomorrow. . .I pulled them, but I didn't lube them. They weren't dirty and they slid in and out freely so I didn't think it was necessary, but a little bit of lube is cheaper than new calipers ansd that will eliminate that as a potential cause.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals