• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

a 5 speed to automatic

90broncoii

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford bronco ii
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
235/75r15
i know this sounds strange but has anyone ever tried to change out a five speed to an auto? i didnt see it on here. I have bad knees and pushing the clutch is painful. i dont want to get rid of my bronco ii. i know it probly cost a lot but worth it to keep my bronc if you have any ideas please let me know. thanks

90broncoii

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford bronco ii
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
235/75r15
5 speed to auto

i guess no one has ever done it, well in about 6 months i will be the first ,thanks for all the feed back :icon_confused: :icon_welder:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
It's been done. It's just rare to do it in the direction you are going.

I'll give you a hint, it's exactly the same as swapping from an auto to a manual, just backwards. The parts list and the steps you take are the same, you just put the auto parts in instead.

Earl43P

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F250 4WD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Let me know if you want a 90 (Ranger) 4wd Automatic trans PCM (engine computer). I have one, free for you. You can reimburse me the cost of shipping after you receive it. I have no use for it and it sounds like you will need it for your transmission swap.

The 90 4wd Ranger it came out of did NOT have EGR on its 2.9.
So, this PCM supports a 2.9 automatic, no EGR.

You will need to send me a Private Message.
Include your mailing address and I will ship it out this week.

Other than that, you will need a small transmission harness for the automatic, which will allow you to connect the neutral safety switch, reverse lights, etc. You don't HAVE to change the pedals, but most automatics have a wider brake pedal, as you know. You will obviously need an A4LD, a flex plate and remove that pilot bearing.

Good luck finding an A4LD, unless you are planning to have it rebuilt before installing it. There is a lot of A4LD info over here: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=146956

90broncoii

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford bronco ii
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
235/75r15
thanks i would like that pcm but i am going to wait till after my next knee surgery before i do the swap ( doc said my knee will be better than new with no pain) that will be in 8 weeks. if that is the case i might not have to do the swap ( but i dont think the surgery will work, i have had 9 others all ready and its just worse than when he started) I aways hope for the best but plan for the worst. so i will let you know if im going to do the swap for sure in 9 weeks or so thanks

fixizin

FoMoCo is forcing me to buy a 'yota
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XL Spurt
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0 (Flex)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
A properly suspensioned Ranger can be safely airborne for up to 4 seconds at a time! =:O
I know you didn't ask, but *I* would rig up a motorcycle clutch lever to my steering wheel, or duct tape a broomstick to my left forearm, or install the most expensive electric servo setup on Earth directly to the clutch master cylinder (with a thumb switch on steering wheel, dash, etc) before I would even contemplate messing up a good B2 with the lameness of the A4LD. :icon_cheers: :icon_idea:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saxomat

Last edited:

kryptonitecb

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You could save some hassle and put in a floor shifter for the automatic. I've never done this but would go that direction if it was me. Sorry bout your knee, best of luck in your surgery.

Sent from the road while ignoring traffic

fixizin

FoMoCo is forcing me to buy a 'yota
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XL Spurt
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0 (Flex)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
A properly suspensioned Ranger can be safely airborne for up to 4 seconds at a time! =:O
You could save some hassle and put in a floor shifter for the automatic. I've never done this but would go that direction if it was me...
Crikey, I didn't even think about that!... is there ANY viable way to add a column-selector, without a whole new steering column? I agree, floor shifter if possible.

I think the OP should find someone who professionally outfits/converts vehicles for physically-challenged drivers, and see if his med. insurance will cover some/all of costs.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals