• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

a few clutch replacement questions..

fordman49450

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hello, I have a 94 Ranger 4X4 ext cab with a 4.0, and a M5OD trans. I am going to have to remove the transmission. I know on others I have removed I Had to remove the exhaust cross pipe to get clearance. On mine I have a 3 inch body lift. I was wondering if anyone has removed their trans with a body lift to see if I still have to remove the exhaust or if I have enough clearance to where I dont have to worry about those manifold bolts. I havnt crawled under there to look and I was just wanting to know what you thought. Another question I have is I am going to either have to have my flywheel machined or replace it with a new one. I was just concerned if I have it machined will I have to add spacers to the flywheel so that it's back in the correct placement of the slave cylinder for travel? Thanks.

Kansasipi

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Trans Q

I have a 3 inch lift on mine, although it's an '85, I have a '93 4.0 but I am using headers. There is a Y pipe though under the bell hsg area. I have removed the tranny w/o removing the Y pipe and there is plenty of clearance for all bell hsg bolts access, my only problem is the OX senser the lead is a pain to disconnect as the lift takes most of the slack from the harness and it adds a frustration factor to the job.

But having headers, Hookers, I need to replace the gaskets on both flanges about every other year or sooner. Darn gaskets are the same as a 327 chevy exhaust manifold gasket and napa has them for 3 bucks so I usuall pull the exhaust. BTW I only run the cat converter and no muffler with a turn out pipe w/chrome end in front of the r/rear tire.

PPl tell me I have an identifiable sound, IOW they know when I'm coming...:)

And on your flywheel the travel of the pressure plate will acomodate most resurfacing unless of course you f/wheel surface is out of spec and then you will have to buy a new or new to you f/wheel.

2ranger87

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I have a 3" body lift on mine,and can remove the transmission without disconnecting the y-pipe. I have pulled transmissions on trucks without body lifts without disconnecting the y-pipe (although it is a PITA), it is much easier with a body lift.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals