• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

a question for ranger enthusiasts.

crazywhiteboy

May 2011 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
ok. lets start it off by saying im 18, i currently live with my parents, in my last year of high school. i mainly work for contractors(hauling heavy materials, towing trailers, lumber runs, etc), but i also do some automotive/marine/ohv work on the side(also ride dirtbikes, work on jetboats/skis). rightnow i have a 97 ranger 4x4 ext cab. it has minor things done to it that allow it to travel a little bit further than a stock ranger. so here's my question, considering all my buddys have jeeps with 35's or bigger and combined with lockers/spools and plenty of clearance, it makes it a little hard to keep up and by putting yourself in my position, would you do a sas with my only dd that has 217k, buy a truck thats already done, or save my money for whats ahead in life? but to add to that, i have found a 94 ranger, 94k, dana 44 sas, 9 inch rear, 5.29's, detroits f&r, 5spd, all leaf spring 14" lift, and a 4.0..the only downfall that really makes me think twice is its a reg cab. he's asking 4,000 and lives an hour

Last edited:

crazywhiteboy

May 2011 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
any helpful insight would be greatly appreciated. thank you very much!

Sunk

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.5 Eco
Transmission
Automatic
I'd throw a 4/6" lift on it, a locker in the rear, 33's and show those Heeps what it can do... But that would be atleast $1500-2000. Depends what kinda money you make, and how you wanna spend it.

Born24wheel

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Hmm, you can always buy a second truck if its worth the money, i cant wheel my daily driver because if it breaks, its a long walk to work. But a lift on your rig wouldn't be a bad idea either, sas might be a little much though.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
a SAS is not required to make a ranger keep up with even heavily modified jeeps. talk to 4x4junkie about TTB strength and travel. when set up properly (through careful steering and suspension geometry and spring selection), TTB performs at least as well as most solid axles.

LittleBigFoot

V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
79-00
Make / Model
Mostly Ford.
Engine Size
Building a 408w
Transmission
Automatic
I'm 18 and I'm sasing my Ranger. I've got a little grocery getter to drive around when I'm not tryin to impress the babes or for when my truck gets FUBAR.

Ya gotta remember to build your truck up for what you like to do. Maybe toss on a 3" body lift to clear some bigger meats, wheel it a bit and figure out what you'd like to do with it, or work on finding a dd.

metalmacguyver

Yeah, I built that.
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 7.3
Transmission
Manual
i have almost the same thing with half the miles. i would say lift it probably 4", put a lunchbox locker in the back, and get a winch so you can tow your jeep buddy through everything that you can go through. another ranger as a DD would be my suggestion.

about that 94, take a look at it. look at the quality of the work. 14" of lift is alot. find out the story behind it. what was he doing with it? where did he learn to weld/get his fab skills. it is always best to be skeptical of heavily modified vehicles because there are alot of people out there that really dont know what they are doing but they do it anyway.

c_note

September 2009 OTOM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger/Explorer
Engine Size
4.0 sohc
Transmission
Manual
if your wanting to do work on it, you will spend 50% less if you go on craigslist.

danger03ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Go buy you a cheap ranger to drive around and build the hell out of the ranger you got now.

dougs3.0L98

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
yeah start wheeling the ranger with 217k miles. it might go anouther hundred thousand but it's a gamble. get a cheap ugly car thats good on gas.

keep your ranger lightly modded enough so you can still drive in on pavement if you get sick of the car.

can you afford insurance on 2 cars?

mikhail

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
i would say that a solid axle is not going to help you nearly as much as 33"+ mud terrains, a lift and a locker. You only have 31s, no lift and open diffs, thats whats holding you back.

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
would you do a sas with my only dd that has 217k, buy a truck thats already done, or save my money for whats ahead in life?
I vote for option #3.

crazywhiteboy

May 2011 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i would say that a solid axle is not going to help you nearly as much as 33"+ mud terrains, a lift and a locker. You only have 31s, no lift and open diffs, thats whats holding you back.
its locked in the front with a limited slip in the rear. so basically, the majority of you guys say: get a gas saver and make my current truck a wheeler?

blackbronc

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
89 BII retired
Make / Model
91 Xplodr Sport
Transmission
Manual
You'd be amazed how much better a 3-4" lift with the right shocks and sway bar disconnect would do offroad. The stock frontend doesn't let the wheels travel much.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
From the start I wanted to lift or lower my Ranger.... I just couldn't make up my mind which way I wanted to go with it...

After a couple years I realized that neither was a viable option for me because of the way I use the truck. I needed something near stock height.

So my solution to wanting to get into going off-roading was to start watching stuff coming up for sale, and picked up my 88 BII off a member on here for $340. $100 more and it was on the road until the motor blew.

That was enough to incite me to get really into things.... (see sig, lol).

I paid $160 for my choptop. I now have around $1,500 into it.... and it will go places.

I paid $250 for my 86. Haven't really done anything to it yet.

I paid $250 for my 89 Eddie Bauer BII that I fixed up and sold. When I sold it I had about $1,300 into it. I had also wheeled with some lifted jeeps in the snow and only had to take a strap once... stock height, worn muds, and open diffs.

I paid $200 for my 89 Ranger... bad frame so it got cut up for parts.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals