• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

A4LD Issues: Extremely weak reverse and no shift.

mplummer08

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I have some issues with my 1990 B2 4x4 with the 2.9l and the A4LD. Here they are:

Reverse - Very weak. There is a very slight lurch when put into gear, and the RPMs drop below 500 and sometimes stalls. In reverse I can hang my leg out and push with slight gas and moves decently, but still not what I would consider normal speed.

Shifting - I have no 1-2 shift. Drives in 1 manual or 2 manual just fine. In OD or D there is no up shift. If I'm in 2 manual and shift to D while cruising it drops back to 1st.

Back story: I bought the BII Sept 2014 for $250 with everything pulled out except the engine and dash. The A4LD was on the garage floor beside it. Over time I got all the components installed. Once I got it running I noticed the reverse and shifting issue so I have no idea of the history on the transmission.

So far on the transmission I have changed fluid and filter and upgraded the throttle valve to the one from a shift kit (can't recall the name of the kit), since the original was missing.

Anything yall can think of that would cause this? Or am I looking at 2 individual problems? Governor or Modulator for the shift and reverse servo for the weak reverse?

Any and all suggestions would be appreciated!

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

mplummer08

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
It was the Superior kit

Tedybear

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994, 2001
Make / Model
1994 Ford Bronc
Engine Size
5.8v8
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Failing is easy. Everyone can do it.
The A4LD isn't the most strongest of the transmissions (our former one went through 3 before we found a good one)

Most likely you're looking at valve body issues and pressure issues. That's just my opinion however, others have better experiences with it then I do.

S-

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes to above.

When reverse starts to go on an automatic it means the pressure in the system is dropping, so seals and valves are leaking internally.

You can try some Lucas, or similar ATF treatment, these soften and swell seals, this can get back some of the lost pressure but it is a temporary fix and only for the seals, not metal valves.

Start saving for a rebuild.

Problem with the A4LD was it was the first OD trans and shops f*ed up rebuilds until they learned the right way to do them, so rebuilds would only last 12-18months.
When they came back shop would, of course, blame Ford and a bad design, because the shop could NEVER make a mistake, lol.

Good read here from the Tech Pages:
"When having an A4LD rebuilt, there are a couple of things that you need to make sure of. First and foremost, do not let a shop do a soft parts fix only (clutches, servos, and bands). This will almost ensure that you will have another repair needed right after the 1-year warranty is out. Other things you want to have replaced are: forward one-way clutch (always), overdrive drum (stamped tin, replace if out of round or heat damaged), pump (Ford only, rebuilds are prone to failure), and the converter (get the better converter with the improved lock-up clutch and brazed fins)."

Full article here: http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/a4ld.shtml

A4LD was C3 with OD added, 4R44E is an A4LD with full electronic shift control, 5R44E is an A4LD with electronic 2nd gear added

Last edited:

mplummer08

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Just to close out this post because I've ran across many posts with no solutions noted and it drives me nuts. I rebuilt my transmission. My friction were worn down to nothing so that was the issue.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals